It's that time of the year again ... flowers are blossoming, midterms are approaching, and everyone is desperately trying to lose those last five pounds before the greatest week of the spring semester arrives: Spring Break.
If you are anything like me, you've been preparing for this day since New Year's Day by following through on all those resolutions (like no alcohol except for Thursdays, Friday, and the weekends). As an experienced Spring Breaker, I have learned that some items are essential to having a successful trip — whether you're laying on the beach in Panama City or being arrested after several yardsticks in Cozumel. Totally kidding.
1. Sunblock. Every year I attempt to lay in the sun for hours on end covered in tanning oil like the rest of my friends, and each time I learn the same painful lesson. If you're like me — and the only two skin tones you're able to achieve are ghost or lobster — then sunblock is not an option ... it's a necessity.
2. Extra sunglasses. If anything was more heartbreaking than my friend's vodka not making it through security, it was when she lost her favorite pair of aviators. We thought it was a great idea to jump off the wall at Fat Tuesday's into the water and it was all downhill after that. My suggestion is to bring a pair that costs less than $5, so when you lose them, you don't spend the rest of your day crying and drinking a vat of Tequila Sunrise in hopes to forget you ever owned $170 worth of sun blockers.
3. Speakers. Yes, I know. You're about to spend a week with your best friends surrounded by musicians and artists wherever you go, but in order to have the top pre-game in your room, you must be able to blast music to get you in the zone. I don't know about you, but taking shots to "Shots" by LMFAO helps me double my intake.
4. Fanny packs. Fanny packs are making their comeback this year! While you're out purchasing your Spring Break bikini from Victoria's Secret, make sure you pick up your *FREE* neon fanny pack that they are giving away as a gift! Fanny packs are able to carry the essentials such as your money, phone, GoPro, or whatever else your heart desires. Bedazzled or monogrammed, fanny packs are also the way to go if you are into a more personalized design. I'm telling you they're the greatest drunk essential ever!
5. Condoms. Guys AND gals should always have these around. This is not the week to become a parent, y'all. End of story.
Let's be honest though ... the most essential part of Spring Break is the alcohol. So drink up, friends!