How My First Year With Odyssey Has Made Me The Person I Am Today

Writing an article every week AND editing a bunch of articles isn't all that bad.

83

If you were to tell me one year ago that I'd be a successful writer and editor for Odyssey, I would call you crazy without hesitation.

But look where we are now.

One year ago this month, I was actually considering applying to Odyssey at Rowan University. It was a big aspiration of mine to be a part of an online publication company, where people can read my work and relate to it.

All I wanted to do was write. I was going through a bit of a rough patch; my sophomore year of college handed me a bunch of challenges. All of those challenges were academic. I went through some changes last year that I was forced to adjust to. The only ways to get through them was to talk about them and write about them.

So I applied. Why not, right?

To my surprise, I was the newest member and creator of Odyssey at Rowan. I was happy to be a part of this team, and I was excited to meet everyone. I felt accepted and a part of something.

But come on, I was most excited about writing the articles! A couple of them were already planned and prepared for editing and publishing.

My first one was dedicated to someone very close to me, and I was nervous about it going live. I was writing about my feelings on the Internet. It would lay on Odyssey website, as well as Facebook and Twitter. It was expected to spread to other places. I was aware of the possible hate that would fly from different people about the different topics I would write about.

That scared me a little. But I was not to be discouraged.

I thought writing articles every single week would dump me in turmoil, along with my hectic school work. But honestly, I was more and more into writing the articles that I was eager to get ahead. I couldn't stop writing. My school work was important and #1 on my list, but I just threw the writing into the batter. It was so much fun.

Now, here I am, one year later. I'm still happy and still engaged in what I love to do. But there was a major twist and great change to it all.

The writing was getting to be part of the daily routine. One day in August, an email made it to my inbox. Attached was a contributing editor application. I let it sit there until the deadline. Why did I actually consider it?

I don't know what made me actually fill out the application. I don't know what made me hit the "send" button. What was I thinking? I was blind because I knew the responsibilities that would add to my list. The stress was already getting to be a lot, but I never once considered dropping Odyssey.

I got a text that changed my entire outlook on Odyssey itself, and how much I meant to a group of writers.

I was chosen to be the newest contributing editor for the Rowan team. Excited was an understatement! I was higher up on the totem pole for my team, so they started to look up to me. I needed to show that I was reliable, but I also needed to take action.

The first couple weeks were a little tricky because I was training for work, and I had another deadline to meet. I was picked to be an editor at the busiest time, but I got out of the rut when I got used to it. I had to learn a whole new set of ropes.

In a nutshell, Odyssey saved me. I was afraid of judgment, sitting behind a computer screen with the unknown potential of being a writer. I faced my fear and tried it out, and I'm so glad I did. Since then, I took chances and I encouraged Rowan students, including my roommates, to join the team. I shared my stories with the world.

To say the least, I would be bored out of my mind without Odyssey.

Odyssey has taught me how to be a successful writer and editor. My skills have improved. Learning the ropes of both writing and editing are the ropes I will use in the future.

Odyssey has taught me trust and friendship. I work with the best team that has the nicest and most talented writers and editors. I can rely on them when I need a break, and I can go to them for advice. I think it's safe to say they have my back.

Being a part of this community has taught me a lot of things about myself. I have that potential to follow my dreams. My "big dream come true" is to become a teacher, but writing has become a big part of my life. I never expected that.

I've learned how to step outside of my comfort zone. Being shy was a thing for me. I wouldn't want to try anything new, and I was a bit closeminded. Joining this team was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I'm a better person because of this. It has opened many doors and opportunities for me.

Odyssey brought out the best in me, and it will for a long time.

Here's to hopefully many more years of writing, editing, and happiness!