First Semester At Stony Brook

I'm a sophomore transfer here at Stony Brook University. For my freshman year of college, I was attending Farmingdale State College right here on the island, as well. I knew Stony Brook had a very rigorous academic program. It's one of the highest rated SUNY schools to this day. Upon receiving my acceptance letter I shed a tear. I was absolutely honored to be granted the opportunity to attend such an institution.

Flashback to my freshman year at Farmingdale, I thought it was a piece of cake. I had passed all my classes with either an A or B. I was also a biology major, so I was thrilled to see that I wouldn't be having much trouble reaching the stepping stone goals I had set. (Side note: set stepping stone goals that lead up to an ultimatum, you will find that achieving smaller goals will be easier than trying to get it all done in one shot.)

Anyways, my GPA was the highest ever and I was more motivated than I had been in a while. So I applied to Stony Brook knowing they were big on science and medicine. Let me tell you, when I say I was stunned by what I was faced with, I was paralyzed. Just on the first day of school looking at all the syllabi, I knew there was a storm coming.

Even the class size blew my mind. I mean, yes, Farmingdale was a small school with class sizes of 50 students maximum, but 450 students in a class? I knew I wouldn't have that same intimate setting that I was comfortable with. I knew the material would be taught a lot faster. I knew that I was not about to have the same GPA I had received my freshman year.

I accepted this challenge though.

I had to work harder. I had to put in to get out. I had to prove that I belonged here.

They had spoon-fed me over at Farmingdale. Everything I needed to pass was handed to me. I took advantage of those opportunities, but now the training wheels are off the bike. I'm on my own. If I don't understand something, I gotta teach myself or even ask for outside help.

Here I am now, approaching the end of my first semester at Stony Brook. It wasn't all roses and daisies, and that's okay. From my mistakes, I will flourish and improve. It's okay to take a step back to breathe, it's okay to talk to someone. As long as I follow my dreams, stay motivated, and remember to never give up, success will be lying right around the corner for me.