Fire, Fire and Ice: A Tribute To Fall

Fire, Fire and Ice: A Tribute To Fall

A simple poem about the beauty in death and change
8

Fire, fire and ice,

burning red, gold against empty blue.

At once dull and bright,

flames flicker in the wind.

Each breath filled with the scent;

thick must and decay,

new becoming old underfoot,

flames slowly trembling into soot.

Touch and feel the smooth descent,

of flame and fire down into death;

more beautiful than in life,

a tribute to nature in each breath.

A new wind stirs and bends,

crisp with the promise of change.

Biting, nipping, burning frost

will soon signal fires end.

Every year the flames return

bringing vibrant life as they burn

First with a fierce resounding shout

but with frosted whispers, they die out.

So with every lazy breeze

of the fall leaves, take heed

for the end of the season will soon be near

and the death of colored life so dear.

Cover Image Credit: https://romanticasheville.files.wordpress.com

10 Things Someone Who Grew Up In A Private School Knows

The 10 things that every private school-goer knows all too well.

21537

1. Uniforms

Plaid. The one thing that every private school-goer knows all too well. It was made into jumpers, skirts, shorts, scouts, hair ties, basically anything you could imagine, the school plaid was made into. You had many different options on what to wear on a normal day, but you always dreaded dress uniform day because of skirts and ballet flats. But it made waking up late for school a whole lot easier.

2. New people were a big deal

New people weren't a big thing. Maybe one or two a year to a grade, but after freshman year no one new really showed up, making the new kid a big deal.

3. You've been to school with most of your class since Kindergarten

Most of your graduating class has been together since Kindergarten, maybe even preschool, if your school has it. They've become part of your family, and you can honestly say you've grown up with your best friends.

4. You've had the same teachers over and over

Having the same teacher two or three years in a row isn't a real surprise. They know what you are capable of and push you to do your best.

5. Everyone knows everybody. Especially everyone's business.

Your graduating class doesn't exceed 150. You know everyone in your grade and most likely everyone in the high school. Because of this, gossip spreads like wildfire. So everyone knows what's going on 10 minutes after it happens.

6. Your hair color was a big deal

If it's not a natural hair color, then forget about it. No dyeing your hair hot pink or blue or you could expect a phone call to your parents saying you have to get rid of it ASAP.

7. Your school isn't like "Gossip Girl"

There is no eating off campus for lunch or casually using your cell phone in class. Teachers are more strict and you can't skip class or just walk right off of campus.

8. Sports are a big deal

Your school is the best of the best at most sports. The teams normally go to the state championships. The rest of the school that doesn't play sports attends the games to cheer on the teams.

9. Boys had to be clean-shaven, and hair had to be cut

If you came to school and your hair was not cut or your beard was not shaved, you were written up and made to go in the bathroom and shave or have the head of discipline cut your hair. Basically, if you know you're getting written up for hair, it's best just to check out and go get a hair cut.

10. Free dress days were like a fashion show

Wearing a school uniform every day can really drive you mad. That free dress day once a month is what you lived for. It was basically a fashion show for everyone, except for those upperclassmen who were over everything and just wore sweat pants.