Fire, Fire and Ice: A Tribute To Fall

Fire, Fire and Ice: A Tribute To Fall

A simple poem about the beauty in death and change
8

Fire, fire and ice,

burning red, gold against empty blue.

At once dull and bright,

flames flicker in the wind.

Each breath filled with the scent;

thick must and decay,

new becoming old underfoot,

flames slowly trembling into soot.

Touch and feel the smooth descent,

of flame and fire down into death;

more beautiful than in life,

a tribute to nature in each breath.

A new wind stirs and bends,

crisp with the promise of change.

Biting, nipping, burning frost

will soon signal fires end.

Every year the flames return

bringing vibrant life as they burn

First with a fierce resounding shout

but with frosted whispers, they die out.

So with every lazy breeze

of the fall leaves, take heed

for the end of the season will soon be near

and the death of colored life so dear.

Cover Image Credit: https://romanticasheville.files.wordpress.com

To The Parent Who Chose Addiction

Thank you for giving me a stronger bond with our family.

258987

When I was younger I resented you, I hated every ounce of you, and I used to question why God would give me a parent like you. Not now. Now I see the beauty and the blessings behind having an addict for a parent. If you're reading this, it isn't meant to hurt you, but rather to thank you.

Thank you for choosing your addiction over me.

Throughout my life, you have always chosen the addiction over my programs, my swim meets or even a simple movie night. You joke about it now or act as if I never questioned if you would wake up the next morning from your pill and alcohol-induced sleep, but I thank you for this. I thank you because I gained a relationship with God. The amount of time I spent praying for you strengthened our relationship in ways I could never explain.

SEE ALSO: They're Not Junkies, You're Just Uneducated

The amount of hurt and disappointment our family has gone through has brought us closer together. I have a relationship with Nanny and Pop that would never be as strong as it is today if you had been in the picture from day one. That in itself is a blessing.

Thank you for showing me how to love.

From your absence, I have learned how to love unconditionally. I want you to know that even though you weren't here, I love you most of all. No matter the amount of heartbreak, tears, and pain I've felt, you will always be my greatest love.

Thank you for making me strong.

Thank you for leaving and for showing me how to be independent. From you, I have learned that I do not need anyone else to prove to me that I am worthy of being loved. From you, I have learned that life is always hard, but you shouldn't give into the things that make you feel good for a short while, but should search for the real happiness in life.

Most of all, thank you for showing me how to turn my hurt into motivation.

I have learned that the cycle of addiction is not something that will continue into my life. You have hurt me more than anyone, but through that hurt, I have pushed myself to become the best version of myself.

Thank you for choosing the addiction over me because you've made me stronger, wiser, and loving than I ever could've been before.