Your 'Finsta' Could Actually Be Hurting Your Future

It might not be as private as you think.

819
Social Barrel

"Finsta" has become the new trend in the social media world. If you haven't heard, a finsta is a "fake Instagram" account that people have been creating to post pictures that they wouldn't normally post on their main account. Pictures and videos posted on finstas include those in which the person isn't trying to look nice, unlike their other account. So, instead, they'll post "ugly" pictures, videos of them partying or just doing other crazy activities.

Usually set to the private setting on Instagram, users only allow a couple of their closest friends to follow them opposed to hundreds of friends and acquaintances on their main account. Now you're probably asking, what's the harm in making a finsta since it can be set to be a private account? What most people don't know is that when you apply for a job, there is a chance that they have a company that can look into your social media accounts, even though it's locked. Scary right? So all of those pictures that you have of yourself underage drinking or partying every weekend, can possibly be seen by future employers. Just because your account settings are on private, doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't possible to get in and see what you've posted.

Being careful on social media is so important because it could really affect your future endeavors as a professional looking for a job. By keeping those not so professional pictures off social media you are less likely to be turned away from an employment opportunity because of your image portrayed online. Instead of following this new trend that is creating a finsta, think about how many opportunities that could be lost due to poor decisions posted online.