Finding Your Value

Nowadays it seems to be getting more difficult for us to find purpose or value in our values, to find something that makes us feel worth something. However, I feel that the reason we are having such trouble is because we are looking in all the wrong places. One of the biggest lessons I had to learn in life is to STOP trying to find my worth from other people. I used to value the opinions of others so much more than those of my own. I didn't feel pretty enough unless I received a compliment that day or didn't give a guy a chance because a singular person didn't find him attractive. That is why I was so miserable during my teenage years.

Since I've been in college, I started to learn that there are going to be a lot of people in your life that don't value you and their opinions will not be ones that are going to better you. Many people will often want to see you fall on your face and increase their value by decreasing yours. This is where you need to take a step back, look in the mirror and start seeing your value, your worth.

My biggest piece of advice is to not just look at the superficial things. Make sure you focus on what is inside of you that makes you valuable. What are your passions in life? What drives you to succeed? Be proud of these things. Use that passion and determination to go beyond the opinions of others and start giving yourself some recognition for all you do.

Look around you and see who is in your life that truly supports you on both your bad and good days. These people value you, and you should do the same. True friendships add an immense amount of value to your life and will be the ones to remind you of yours even when you can't see it. They will be able to show you what is worthy inside you that makes them want to stay around.

Look at your family and see value. See a support system who values you for who you are, what you are, and all that you will be. Learn to appreciate this because at your lowest points, they are the ones who will be there.

Now look back at yourself. Tell yourself today and every day that you are worthy. You are valuable. Not because other people tell you that you are, but because you know that you are. You bring something to this world that no one else can because no one else is you. That is why you are beautifully and uniquely made. Not because of what someone else tells you, but because of who you are. Make a conscious effort today to appreciate yourself and validate all that you are so that no one else can take that away from you.