It Took Me Getting Into College To Find Friends That Love Me For Me

​​I thank God every day for them because they don't even know they making my college experience more special.

79
Nila Morton

Finding friendships in college can be challenging, but since I have Ullrich Muscular Dystrophy, which requires me to be in my wheelchair, finding friendship can be even more challenging.

I don't allow that to stop me from making friendships. I want to give advice about finding friendship in college by telling my story.

Before I came to Furman, I didn't have friends. I did online schooling so my social life didn't exist. I would only be around my family and my dog, Chloe. To me, it wasn't a problem because I love my family and Chloe. It does feel good to have friends to hang out with sometimes, though.

When I came to Furman, I was nervous that I wasn't going to find true friends and kind of worried about being judged. Will my friends accept me and my disability? Will I be good enough for them?

I started to meet people and talk with them. People are really nice to me which shocked me because I was ready for someone to just be mean since that's what I am used to because of my years of being bullied back in middle school and a little bit in public high school.

I never realized how liked I was until people would call my name when they are walking past me. They want to get my number so we could grab lunch or dinner sometime. It felt great knowing that my disability wasn't being seen. They actually saw a girl who just here at Furman trying to get an education like everyone else.

I started a great friendship with my roommate, Sydney. I always heard people say they either became best friends with their roommate or not.

I remember praying to God that my roommate would become my best friend because I wouldn't feel right knowing I am living with someone and we don't talk. Well God answered my prayers!

Sydney and I always hang out, have lunch and dinner together, and always do fun activities. I talk to her about things I wouldn't tell most people. We are so close. We are like a little gang! I am so thankful for her! I started great friendships with so many other people at Furman such as Tityana, Matthew, and so many other people.

One thing I love about my friendships is that we are always there to support each other no matter what. When we are struggling in class, we always give each advice and provide help if we can.

We have a study group at the library so we won't be alone struggling and stressing haha! We encourage each other every day so we can know that we is SMART, we is KIND, and we is IMPORTANT! We support each other dreams and even talk about how we will make our dreams come true no matter what.

What I learned from the process of finding friendships is that just be yourself and never change yourself. A true friend will be there for you no matter what you are going through and will love you for who you are. Flaws and all. I use to be scared that my friends would think my disability would be too much for them but it isn't. They are understanding about my situation and sometimes they will get on me if I am sick and need to do my treatments. They care about my health and always willing to help as much as possible.

Finding friendships can be challenging because you want to know if that person true or not, will people accept you, and other things but just be patient. A true friend will be there and stay no matter what.

You don't want just any kind of friends. You want a friend or friends that will be there for you, will support you, be real with you even if that means you may be upset about it, and also love you.

Having friends is great but having true friends is a blessing. Also be careful who you call your friends because let's be real, not everyone is your friend just because they are nice to you.

You will know who your true friends are by time. To be honest, I glad I waited until college to find my true friends because I was able to meet some many great people that became a big part of my life.

I am happy I have people in my life that will be there and accept me for who I am. It feels great to know God blessed with these wonderful people in my life.

I thank God every day for them because they don't even know they making my college experience more special. I love them so much.