Finding Time V.S Making Time

Finding Time V.S Making Time

Yes, you did have time to write that paper.
31

I am an individual who has found it increasingly difficult to prioritize things. Somehow, going to the gym trumps reading for that American Lit class or doing assignments weeks ahead of time trumps cleaning my room. Especially as a college student, it can often be hard to find the time for what you need to get done. I thought I'd never find a solution, a way to get everything I needed to get done within the short 24 hours of the day. That is, until, I realized that there is no such thing as finding time.

Time is already there. Time will be there whether you decide to lay in bed playing the new Resident Evil game or go to the library to study for midterms. It won't bend or alter itself regardless of your decision to go to bed early or push yourself to submit that assignment on time.You can't find time, but you can make it.

It seems that every time I tell myself that I'm going to "find the time to do something", I never end up doing it. That is why I've discovered that rather than finding time to do something, you need to MAKE time. You need to focus on the one thing that needs to get done and make time do what you want. Don't try to "fit it in" to your "busy schedule". Dive in wholeheartedly and make time bend and twist to getting it done.

You can't find time because it isn't lost, but you can make time do what you want. You sitting in front of a television binge watching Nashville with your best friend for three hours (@me) and saying "Oh, where did the time go?" isn't you losing time, you just didn't make time bend around what you really needed to do so it did as it pleased.

Pushing off an assignment or chore because you "don't have the time" is an excuse (sorry, not sorry). There is not one chance that every single moment of freedom you had that gave you a chance to do it was taken up by some imminent activity you couldn't avoid- you just didn't have a single moment that you actually wanted to do it. The most difficult lesson I could possibly give to you is that time management is about prioritizing what NEEDS to be done with what you WANT to do, which can often be hard to distinguish between. I'm guilty of watching Finding Dory (which is on Netflix now BTW) instead of writing an essay for Expository Writing. I'm guilty of failing a quiz because I was too lazy to fit reading for American Lit into my "busy" schedule. College is one of the most difficult, insane, awful, wonderful, unorganized time of anyone's life- but if you push yourself beyond your limits and distinguish between things you need to do and things you think you need, life will come much easier to you.