Finding the best data science courses in India: a comprehensive guide.

Data science courses

30

Data science has become a tremendous upskilling opportunity for working professionals. Yet, this was not the case a couple of decades ago. The lack of computational power resulted in a bottleneck in the progress of modern data science.

This all changed in 2008 when IBM started their cloud computing services in India. Since then, the popularity of data science as a viable and investment-worthy venture has taken root across all industries. Today every company is utilising modern data analysis techniques to yield a competitive advantage over their peers. The same applies to individuals looking to secure their future through upskilling programmes. In this uncertain world, the thing that is undoubtedly going to stay relevant is data and its utilisation opportunities for various purposes. This article will discuss the best data science courses in India, job opportunities and finding a worthwhile data science course.

Data science curriculum

Data science is the study of data and the development of algorithms to analyse it. The field of data science is an amalgamation of various subjects. It includes mathematics, programming language, machine learning, deep learning, cloud computing etc.

• Mathematics

Mathematics forms the very basis of data science and analysis. Every data scientist must have a good grasp of various mathematical topics such as statistics, linear algebra and calculus. Some people get afraid when they hear data science requires mathematics, but one does not need to be a university-level graduate to understand these topics. The best courses focus on developing the basics of these topics in every student so they can work with them without any hesitation or fear.

• Programming language

Data scientists are required to have the capability of developing analytical models for the automation of the analysis process. And to create such algorithms, one must have an in-depth knowledge of relevant programming languages. For all practical purposes, most data science courses focus on python. Python has fantastic community support and a vast library of resources to make life easier for programmers.

• Machine learning and deep learning

Machine learning and deep learning programmes are the future of data science. These AI technologies can deduce insights from increasingly more extensive data sets in a brief period. Whereas conventional data analysis methods take significantly longer, the insights are not as in-depth as they could be with machine and deep learning. Data scientists are tasked with developing machine learning and deep learning algorithms while reviewing the insights to identify valuable aspects. One must remember that the accuracy of the insights depends on the type of data and the algorithm's efficiency.

• Data cleaning and structuring

One of the most daunting challenges data scientists face today is cleaning and structuring raw data. Data in its raw form contains inaccuracies. If not cleaned and structured, these inaccuracies will creep in during the analysis process and corrupt the results. Therefore the data must be cleaned and structured to make it palatable to the algorithms and remove inaccuracies from the results. Data science courses teach various tools and techniques that make cleaning and organising the data easier for further use.

• Dashboard creation

Data analysts present the insight in front of the management teams. But how does one go about it? Explaining it through slides and presentations is an inefficient way of doing this. Therefore data science courses teach about some popular dashboard creation software and methods for students. Dashboards can be easier to understand, and interactive dashboards are very engaging and intuitive.

• Cloud computing

Cloud computing marks the beginning of the data science revolution. Before the advent of cloud computing, only a few companies could reap the benefits of modern data analysis methods. Cloud computing allowed companies the comfort of not having to manage sophisticated computational systems. These systems are expensive and require constant and careful maintenance, ultimately driving up the company's operational costs. Today most companies are using cloud computing services provided by the biggest tech companies in the world. Such as Google, Amazon, Microsoft and IBM. Each company has up-and-running servers in India to facilitate top-notch cloud computing services. Data science courses familiarise students with cloud computing services and how they can use them efficiently in real-world situations.

Online data science courses in India for working professionals

In this volatile job market, a working professional can be certain about one thing: uncertainty. It became even more apparent through the last couple of years of the covid-19 pandemic. A lot of people were laid off. Making it clear that up-skilling is not a choice but a necessity for working individuals. Failing to do so makes someone irrelevant in just a matter of years. To stay relevant in this volatile job market, one must constantly work on themselves and acquire skills that will last for years. Data science courses are one of the best upskilling choices for working professionals because the field of data science and analysis is destined to grow rapidly for years to come.

Online data science courses in India allow working professionals to upskill themselves while keeping their current jobs and maintaining a healthy work-life balance. Some online courses provide classes in pre-recorded video format. These courses are cheaper, but I would strongly advise against them. Live classes are far better when compared with pre-recorded sessions. The live classes are held outside working hours during the weekdays, making it easier for working professionals to attend them.

Data science job opportunities

Data science is being used across all major industries. Therefore a data scientist will have an easier time finding jobs. The three significant positions in the field of data science are data scientist, data analyst and business analyst. All of these fields pay handsomely.

Identifying a worthwhile data science course

With the increase in demand for data science, many institutions have come up promising to provide the best data science courses. But one must be very careful before enrolling in a data science course. The systems are not created equally; some will be far better than others. Here is a list of things that must be assessed for enrolling in the best data science courses in India.

Reputable institution

The first thing one should look for before joining a course is whether the institution providing the course has a good record. Look for reviews from ex-students and, if possible, get in contact with them. Ask about their experience with the institution. It will give one a clear idea about what they can expect from the institution and the course. The best data science courses in India are offered by some of the best educational institutes in India.

Experienced faculty for superior teaching

An experienced faculty will be able to teach the students far better than inexperienced ones. Their long experience in teaching makes them capable of understanding the vulnerabilities and difficulties students face while studying data science. Therefore one should always check if the institution has mostly experienced faculty members.

Industry-aligned course structure

An industry-aligned course structure will not only teach the theoretical aspects of data science but also make the students capable of practical implementation of the tools and techniques in the work environment. Therefore always look for courses that have structured their curriculum around the practical implementation of tools and techniques.

All of the aforementioned points are crucial for identifying a truly worthwhile data science course. One should only go for courses that meet the aforementioned criteria.