Finding Motivation

Finding Motivation

Getting motivated to do my work early and go to the gym has never been easy, but lately I have been determined.

7
Finding Motivation
Danielle Lee

One of my biggest struggles, whether it is to do with doing school work, working out, etc., used to be getting motivated. I would wait until the last minute to do school assignments and I would put off working out for months. I just didn't feel like I had the motivation to get these things done. Why did I need to do my work early? It would get done eventually. Why should I walk all the way to the gym? My laziness was definitely taking over during my first three years of college.

I like to think of myself as somewhat changed now. Yes, I still have very lazy days especially when it comes to going to the gym. I already TA for zumba classes twice a week so I sometimes find it hard to give myself the extra push to get to the gym. However, I do it and I'm glad that I do.

Toward the end of the summer before starting my senior year of college, I decided that it was time to make a change. I needed to put the days of procrastination and laziness behind me and do something good for myself. Not to mention I was going to be a bridesmaid in a wedding in just a few months so I found myself feeling extra motivated to work out and get healthy.

This worked for me. I was doing my work early so I had extra time in my days, and I was eating healthy and working out more than I ever had before. As quickly as I got motivated, the wedding passed and it was Halloween which meant candy, which is always my downfall. I gave myself a week to be unhealthy and then I had to get back into my good habits. However, this was very hard and I never completely got back to being as conscious about my eating and working out as I was before. This is still a work in progress.

Now it is the second semester of my senior year and I have been looking for new motivation. In fact, I was so determined to get my senior project over with that my first draft is already written, and it isn't even due until March. My motivation for getting this done was that the sooner I was finished with my senior project, the sooner I could start really deciding what I would do after college. I would have more time to look for jobs and find what I was interested.

I'm currently in the process for getting motivated again to go back to the gym. I've gone a few times so far this semester and I'm hoping to make it a regular thing again. I'm TA for zumba twice a week which is at least keeping me active, but I know I need to do more. The motivation I'm trying to go with is that I need to be the healthiest that I can be so I can be successful in all of my endeavors after college.

The search to find motivation has never been easy for me, and I'm still working on it. But once I get motivated I know my determination will kick in and keep me going.