Finding Hope In Haiti

Finding Hope In Haiti

How I discovered what it really means to have hope.

4
Finding Hope In Haiti
Abby Reichenbach

As I was preparing to write this article I had no clue what my topic would be for this week, but as I checked the time on my computer I realized the date was July 10 meaning that the day after would be, yes you guessed it, July 11. A seemingly normal date for most people, but for me it is a day that brings such beautiful memories with it. You see, one year ago on July 11, I traveled to Heartline Ministry in Haiti as part of a mission team with my church. When I landed and stepped off the airplane that day I entered into a country that I thought I was going to change in some way, but instead it changed me as it captured a piece of my heart.

That change began on the first day at Valley of Hope, a church in the village of Chambone. As we arrived, the first service ended, and I could hear the congregation singing from down the road. The sound was just so sweet. We were greeted by several people and proceeded to sit at the front of the congregation. Literally. The other 12 members and I sat on wooden benches at the front of the church facing the rest of the members. At first I was uncomfortable to be sitting in the position that we were, but as the worship for the second service began I was beyond grateful.

The praise and worship started and the whole room was filled with joyous singing. If you know me pretty well, you’ll know how much I love worship because it’s one way that allows me to feel connected to God. Sitting in those benches at the front of the congregation I got to experience such beautiful worship with people who were living in much different circumstances then me. Looking around at all the faces and hearing their hearts being poured out to God despite the heartbreak and suffering they faced; a major realization came over me. Even if I couldn’t understand what they were saying, or the situations they were facing, we were praising the same God, and one day we will all be in Heaven together singing as one to our Father.

I don’t know the names, or remember all the faces of the members of that church, but they are my brothers and sisters in Christ. Later in the service we got to commemorate that as we took communion and prayed together in our own languages. When it was over we were showered with love as the congregation kindly welcomed us with hugs and large smiles.

The week continued as we threw an end-of-the-year party for a school in a rough area, made bracelets with girls at summer camp, and spent time with children living in orphanages. I absolutely love children and being able to serve in these ways was absolutely perfect for me, but my heart broke a little with each location and child’s face as I witnessed the conditions that they lived in. I wish I could share all my stories with you, but for the sake of not making this article ridiculously long I won’t, but there is a specific one I want to finish with.

I knew coming into the trip that I would see poverty and living conditions unlike anything in the states, but the orphanage we stepped into on the second day was unlike anything I could have imagined. I don’t have words to explain the heartbreaking conditions that the children lived in. As we walked down a path to get to the orphanage we were met by smiling faces running toward us with such excitement to have visitors. I’ll admit at first I was a bit apprehensive about holding these children as some were lacking clothing and had not been bathed in a while. As we got closer to the house I realized the reality for these children, there were twenty of them under the age of twelve living in a small cinder block home that lacked a roof and several walls; all they wanted was to be loved.

Any apprehension I had disappeared as I reached down to scoop a child up into my arms and provide comfort for them. We spent several hours with the kids playing games, coloring, making bracelets, and at the end we got to share the Gospel with them through a translator. Our team leader spoke and let the kids know that even though we would be leaving and that the toys we left behind could break, there was someone who would never leave or fail them. They could always put their trust in God and know that when they are sad, lonely, hurting, afraid; they can call out to a loving God that hears them.

This humbled my heart as I realized how much I too needed to hear this. I needed to have hope. Saying goodbye to those precious little faces was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, but as tears filled my eyes walking out I had peace in knowing that God would embrace and care for them in a far greater way than I ever could. As I write this article, and the children lie alone in their beds for the night, I have no doubt that God is still protecting and showering them with his love as He seeks to care for their hearts and calm their fears.

Be praying for the people of Haiti, that they would experience the unexplainable peace, joy, love and comfort that our Heavenly Father provides.