Finding Myself Was Aided By Finding My Greek Chapter

I wanted something more for myself, so I decided to go Greek.

49
Meredith Scroggin

A year ago, I was wanting something more out of life.

I had had a not-so-great semester. I was starting to realize I was incredibly depressed and had a lot of anxiety that was completely out of my control. I was determined to putting my life back together and I used that winter break to start medicine and work on getting healthy.

In January, I went through the process that so many girls look forward to: sorority recruitment. I hadn't gone through it as a freshman and was excited, but anxious (but again, anxiety, duh) about the process and about being a sophomore, but I was more than thrilled to join Tri Delta and I realized that all my fears about being a sophomore in a freshman pledge class were gone.

Over the past two semesters, I feel as if I've learned what sisterhood truly means. I thought I had an idea going into recruitment, a little more of an idea on sisterhood night, and even when I got an initiated. But over the past year, my life has been totally transformed by the amazing women that I've gotten to meet through my sorority.

Sure, sure, it sounds like your classic college white girl article where she talks about how much she just *loves* her sisters! And parts of that are true. But the other parts are the parts that can't really be covered in an article. They're the parts that help you become a woman you never imagined yourself to be. While dealing with my newly medicated brain and dealing with my depression, I was comforted by finding women that offered a helping hand whenever they could. I was comforted by forming close friendships with girls that were in a similar situation themselves. I was brought comfort in realizing there was always someone there to help me with a class I was struggling with. And even this summer, when I posted an article talking about how I was on antidepressants, some of the most support I saw was from girls in my sorority, even some I wasn't close with.

This past semester has been a tough one for the University of Richmond-- with different cases dealing with sexual assault on campus, it's been a little bit scary. It's easy to feel alone. But again, I was comforted by not only my sorority, but the entire panhellenic community, as well as many, many other women on campus. Through plenty of different gatherings and meetings, I knew I had my sorority sisters and even my sisters from a nother mister next to me.

This semester has been a slightly frightening one for women everywhere-- given the presidential election, no matter what you believe, there are frightening facts coming to light and nerve-wrecking legislation being proposed for women. But I have been comforted by knowing that I have surrounded myself around women who want to fight those scary facts and stand together proudly.

I don't say these in a way to say that you can only feel comfortable and strong when you're in a sorority. But I do think that there are times when we need to know we have a strong support group of women backing us up, and I could not be happier that I found that in my sorority.

This past year, Tri Delta has taught me how to be my very best self. I have learned to love myself as an individual and find the good in people. I've learned how to seek support and how to give it. I've learned how to grow intellectually and how to lead. When I went through recruitment in January, I had no clue I'd be gaining a support group of incredibly diverse and amazing women, and I've gotta give Tri Delta some love for that. I think about how a year after I was at my absolute lowest, I've never felt so supported and strong-- and how that even if I wasn't, I know I have people to lean on for it.

While I know Tri Delta was the answer I needed, I just get excited thinking about how many other women outside of Greek life I've been able to meet. I think about how incredibly important it is to have that support group, and I'm comforted and empowered to take on this next year.