How to Find Your Own Aesthetic

How to Find Your Own Aesthetic

Here's how you can transform your life and make it ~aesthetically pleasing.~

1181
How to Find Your Own Aesthetic
Image courtesy of tezza on Instagram

Whether you have hundreds of beautiful pictures saved on Pinterest or you don't know where to start, having a personal aesthetic can completely change who you are. And it's not nearly as daunting as it sounds.

First and foremost the modern-day idea of an aesthetic is an ideal lifestyle with specific concepts and appearances, usually acknowledging popular trends. Simply putting the word "aesthetic" before something in a Google search will bring forth hundreds of pictures of that specific notion. There are countless different types of aesthetics, from a summer/beach life to a soft and cozy appearance. That's what makes having your own aesthetic so unique; no one else will have the same one as you and it adheres to your personal preferences and beliefs.

Find inspiration

Before you can develop your aesthetic it's important to figure out what you like or believe in. If you love hiking and being outdoors, search for a camping aesthetic. Perhaps you love movies and the characters within them; look for a [specific film or character] aesthetic. I recommend searching Pinterest if you don't know where to start. Instagram also has thousands of accounts dedicated to specific aesthetics as well as VSCO. Looking through magazines or online blogs doesn't hurt either. Inspiration can also come from celebrities or content creators or even classmates and friends.

Do some shopping

While this doesn't apply to every aesthetic, quite a few have a specific look that goes with the aesthetic in mind, such as dainty jewelry, a certain type of backpack/purse or even Dr. Martens. This can quickly become very expensive, but there are ways to get around this! Apps such as Depop and Poshmark make buying clothes affordable (plus environmentally conscious) and thrift stores are perfect if you're into the 90s or early 2000s aesthetic. Of course, you don't have to spend money to achieve the aesthetic you're looking for. Consider making a Pinterest board with all of your favorite images or print them out and turn them into a collage.

Live in the aesthetic

If the aesthetic you desire doesn't feel right or you're not comfortable with its ideals, don't pursue it. You should never dress or act a certain way you don't like just for Instagram pictures or a 'cooler' reputation. Instead, consider expanding your aesthetic or adding a whole new one to the original. There's nothing wrong with it being distinctive- that's what makes it yours! Once you find the aesthetic that's right for you don't be afraid to show it off. Take pictures of your outfit or romp around the city and explore aesthetically pleasing places. The more you enjoy your aesthetic and live in it, the happier you will become.

Be conscious of your decisions

It is completely fine to admire a certain style or aesthetic, but copying someone or doing something because it's 'trendy' isn't. If you are into the idea of feminism but don't take time to read the news and learn about women's rights, then what's the point? If you believe your aesthetic could hurt or offend someone else, it probably can. Aesthetics are fun and creative, not plagiarized. At the end of the day, having an aesthetic shouldn't be exhausting or stressful. There are no strict rules about them except to be yourself.