Finding Your Happy Place

Finding Your Happy Place

Why it's important to have a happy place and how to find one that works for you

9
Finding Your Happy Place

When I'm at a climbing competition, it can become extremely difficult to focus on the climb instead of your nerves. This is the same for people at any type of competition, contest, or stressful environment. It's important to be able to preform well in a high-stakes environment. There are many ways to cope with stress, nerves, and anxiety, but my personal favorite is finding a "happy place".

Happy Place: a place or a state of mind that a person associates with happiness, stress relief, and calmness.

Your happy "place" doesn't need to be an actual location- it can be a memory that you go back and relive. This usually comes along with some sort of a place, but the purpose of a happy place focuses on what you are feeling. For example, my favorite "happy place" is located in northern Indiana in a campsite of sorts, but what I remember about it is the calmness, relaxation, and general happiness that I felt.

Many people have a collection of their best memories that they can use, depending on the situation. A memory to help you relax would be very different than a memory to get you excited for something. When you need to get motivated, you shouldn't be thinking of something that helps you fall asleep.

Finding effective memories for each emotion can be difficult, because if it isn't strong enough then it won't work. (If you have read/seen the third Harry Potter in the series, this is very similar to what Professor Lupin teaches Harry about casting a "patronis" spell to defeat a Dementor.) Here are the basic steps to finding a happy place that works for you:

1. Figure Out What You Want To Achieve

How do you want this memory to make you feel? Are you looking for a happy, calm, or inspirational emotion?

2. Rack Your Brain

Recall all of your favorite memories...Maybe it's your wedding day or you graduation day, or maybe its something as simple as the day you spent with your best friend, mother, or grandchildren. Make a list (on paper or in your mind) of your top ten overall memories.

3. Eliminate One By One

Go through your list and get rid of all the memories that don't work for your emotion. Get rid of your slow sailboat trip if your trying to find something that will motivate you to finish your marathon. Then, close your eyes and experience each memory one by one. Which one works the best?

4. Rinse and Repeat

Anticipate your need for other happy places and store them in the back of your mind for later use.