Five Finals Study Tips to Stay Productive

Bonus: Stop procrastinating.

4

All of the conversations I've overheard lately are rife with panic and stress about exams and papers. With finals week looming just around the corner, I thought I could help the best I could by compiling this list of things I find helpful when I'm trying to stay productive.

1. Create a To-Do List

Make a list of what you have to get done, and break each of those things down. If you have a paper to write, include the fact that you should make an outline, collect sources and quotes, and have a thesis. Add that under the paper on your list. While that's just an example, it helps break down the work you need to do, and it also helps you tackle things one step at a time. Plus, you'll feel more accomplished and less overwhelmed by expanding the step-by-step procedure you need to follow to achieve a certain task.

My to-do list includes quite a few papers, so I broke it down by outline, quotes, introduction paragraph, body paragraphs and what they contain, the conclusion, and then looking over and editing the paper before turning it in.

It even helps to break down the list by day; this way you don't have to look at it and think that you need to get everything done all at once. It helps lay out a guide for how you're going to get your work done.

2. Change Your Environment

I spent six hours sitting in my bed working on two different papers on Saturday. While I did get things done -- I began to feel jaded after being in one place for so long. While the library is a great place to have a quiet study session, staying in one place for too long can actually be counterproductive. When I say change your environment, I don't mean get in your car or call an Uber to take you to the next county, but maybe relocate to a different space in the library. Even that little change in the space around you can help you feel refreshed and ready to take on whatever else you have to do.

3. Take Care of Your Need for (Good) Food and Water

No, coffee for breakfast, lunch, and dinner isn't going to cut it. I've had my fair share of coffee, too, but when you aren't taking care of your body, you will not be able to do your best. You'll feel better too when you have actual meals. Keep snacks and water with you as well. It will help your energy upkeep and you won't be distracted by hunger or thirst. Sometimes I excuse myself from studying to go get food in order to procrastinate. Don't be me -- keep yourself fed.

4. Get Enough Rest

One all-nighter once in a while is normal -- but do not make staying up all night a constant habit. You're not going to function properly without enough rest, and while caffeine may provide a boost -- that's only temporary. If you feel your eyelids drooping, and you're fighting to stay awake, it may actually be best to go home and get some sleep. You'll retain information better, and you'll thank yourself for it. Trust me.

5. Listen to Music You Don't Know Well

If you're prone to distraction, but music helps you focus, try listening to music or artists you don't know well. I'll catch myself singing along to music and ignoring my work sometimes, especially if it's by artists I adore. This is a good way to introduce yourself to new music, too. If there's a band you've been meaning to check out or you just want to open up a Pandora station, do that. You're less likely to get distracted by how much you love the band you're listening to.