Is Your Cup Half Empty of Half Full?

Is Your Cup Half Empty of Half Full?

It’s time for the mid-semester slump.

40
Is Your Cup Half Empty of Half Full?

It’s that time of year again. As hyped up as we are about the fall's changing colors, cooler weather, and, of course, our beloved Starbucks PSLs, our cups are looking like they are more on the half-empty side than the half-full side. We are still recovering from the post-midterms crash, knowing that the ever dreaded finals are looming in the near future. We say that we are going to be productive and catch up on rest over fall break, but in reality, we would much rather catch up on the latest gossip with friends from home. And even if that is too much effort, we can always lounge on the couch and catch up on our favorite television series on Netflix.

College students have to be one of the most resilient species that exists. We can run around from classes to work to meetings all day and still stay up all night studying and doing work if need be. All we need is a good cup of coffee (or four) and we are set to do it all over again the next day. But, usually without our even knowing it, we hit a wall and we hit it hard. It gets to a point where you can do nothing but homework for an entire weekend, and what do you really have to show for it? Probably a bunch of halfway finished papers and projects that you started in order to avoid studying for the test that is coming up in just a few days. Everything has been started, nothing has been finished, and you just can’t decide what is more important to finish first.

When you get to a point where you feel as if you are working nonstop and making extremely minimal progress, it can become quite frustrating. You gave up a weekend of going out to themed parties and watching Netflix the next day as you recover so that you could get ahead and start making better grades. But you still feel like you have gone from treading water to drowning in a deep sea of assignments. The ensuing pessimistic attitude consumes you, and you see every aspect of your life as being “half empty” and lacking in some way. It’s just never enough.

In order to maintain our sanity and motivation to finish the semester out strong, we need to see our cups as “half full” instead. Don’t get down on yourself for what you didn’t finish this weekend, but be proud of yourself for making the mature decision to put your schoolwork ahead of your social schedule. It will pay off more than you think. No, you may not have crossed everything off of your to-do list, but you gave yourself a little breathing room this week to maybe start getting a little more ahead each day.

You could also fill your cup by making time to take care of yourself mentally, physically, and/or spiritually. Whether it’s going on the hike that you’ve been wanting to take for the past month, spending time with the friend who seems to be drifting away, catching up on sleep, or even spending a few extra minutes praying or meditating each day, find something that makes your cup appear to be more on the half-full side.

A positive mindset will carry you much farther by helping to boost your productivity level while simultaneously minimizing your stress level. All of which will help you shorten that ridiculously long to-do list much quicker than you ever imagined.