Fighting Violence With Peace

Fighting Violence With Peace

​Understanding that peace can be a solution too.

38
Fighting Violence With Peace
ABC News

It is with great sorrow that I write this.

Even though we live in the United States of America, a country where people migrated (and still do) to fight for their freedom, a first world country were happiness is pursued, a country that serves as role model to developing nations - even though the United States is home of the “American Dream,” we have to wake up.

The issue is no longer avoidable, and should have never been, but with recent events and reports flooding all kinds of social media and news outlets, the world knows.

We all know racism is a thing, and we all pretty much accept that there’s not a concrete way to fix it. Violence has already proven that, instead of repairing what has been broken for so long, it only breaks it even more. More killing will never equal fewer people killed, as the violent protests in Dallas have shown us.

Even though every death caused by police brutality is an event that evokes anger, it also evokes sadness and even more so, helplessness. Right now when the colored demographic of the U.S. is being targeted by all these injustices, the people who belong to that community all ask themselves “What can we do?” No one has an answer, which is where the helplessness comes in. There is no way to fix the damage that has been done, and we have no idea how to stop these crimes from spreading.

The discrimination that occurs in the United States does not even make sense according to the advanced society we have built. Sadly in a lot of ways as a nation we are still living in 1963. Except in 1963 the unprivileged fighting for their rights had a great leader. We had a peace lover and extremely educated leader dedicated to justice. The philosophy of fighting injustice with peace was applicable in the Civil Rights Movement and is applicable today as well.

The fear that all of us colored people have now is unacceptable. This is not only an African American issue, because other races are also discriminated. We all say, well there’s nothing we can do because we have the losing odds. We can do something though. Fight with peace.

First we must recognize that:

Then accept that what is happening to a part of the demographic in the U.S. affects the whole country.

We have to stop avoiding the problem.

We have to stand together and work united for a better future.