Fiction On Odyssey: A Christmas Story Told By The Side-Tracked Snowflake

It was December 20th, and Santa and his elves were busy at work at the North Pole.

439

The reindeer were practicing their flying and stability. Some elves were baking, some were fixing toys, and some were building toys. The head elves Peter and Kent made sure Santa wasn't getting too overwhelmed, helped Mrs. Claus with some things, and made sure the elves were up to check.

Santa makes sure he knew who was on the naughty and nice list, and he helps the elves with the building and fixing of their toys. He also visited the reindeer often. He fed them, pet them, and visited their flying practices. He also practiced flying through the air on the sleigh with them. Some of the young ones took longer to learn things.

Mrs. Claus was really sweet. She was always bubbly, happy, and upbeat. She always tried to look on the bright side of things. She was also expecting a baby.

That's right, she was expecting a baby. No, Mrs. Claus and Santa are young. They're about in their 30s.

Santa has a bit of gray hair, but all over, and only a little chubby.

Santa and Mrs. Claus have a dog named Holly and a cat named Mistletoe. I don't think I've ever met a nicer cat than Mistletoe, and cats have bad rep for being mean and rude. Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot to tell you who I am. I am Snowflake, one of the female elves. I work in the department of dolls and dollhouses for little girls. I love my job, it is my life!

The only thing missing is a boyfriend. Well I guess that's not everything.

You see, I used to have a boyfriend. His name was Herbert. He was an outcast at first because he wanted to work as an elf in the toy factory. He wanted to be a doctor. Everyone made fun of him until he helped several of them with toothaches and pulling out wisdom teeth.

Then, he went to doctor school, and got his doctorate. We were in love, but he broke up with me because the long-distance relationship wasn't working for him. I understood, but I was still heartbroken. I liked him a lot.

My best friend is Candycane, she is my roommate as well. But she works in little girls' coloring books. She draws the outlines of the drawings for the little girls to color in. It's amazing what she does really, it takes creativity and hard work.

Candycane is a lesbian although little kids aren't supposed to know that. But you aren't a little kid, you're a college student, around my age if I were a human.

Candycane has a girlfriend named Eve. We all hang out together and have a lot of fun, but sometimes I feel like a third wheel and it makes me feel lonely. Especially at Christmas time.

Going back to December 20 of last year, that's when Herbert broke up with me. I was having the happiest day when he called and wanted to remain friends.

Everyone says they'll remain friends after a breakup, but it never happens. Not unless you were friends before you dated.

And we weren't.

As stereotypical as it sounds, I love baking gingerbread, gingerbread cookies, and sugar cookies. They're also pretty much all I eat. Elves love to eat sugary things and basically nothing else. It's true.

After Christmas is over, Santa and all the elves go somewhere tropical for a few weeks to get a vacation and get some needed relaxation time. This year we are going to Mexico. We use magic spells, so no humans suspect that it's us- disguising spells.

I love painting, singing, and of course baking.

Well, is there anything else you'd like to know? Is Rudolph real? No, I'm sad to tell you that he isn't. Santa is, and the elves all are, Mrs. Claus, and the reindeer are too.

We have a school here, everyone is required to have an education of academics, making toys, and baking 101.

You can leave the North Pole if you don't like it. And you can come back if you want as well.

Well, I'm getting sleepy. This hot cocoa was really good. Well now, I know you're college kids, but please do your best to be good so you can be on the nice list. And hey, just be nice in general, always. Have Christmas spirit all year-round.

Alright, goodnight folks, hopefully I'll meet someone soon. Merry Christmas!