To A Few Of Those Who Left Us Too Soon

To A Few Of Those Who Left Us Too Soon

An open letter to a few people who touched my life and left us way too soon.

28
To A Few Of Those Who Left Us Too Soon
Kelly Martin Speaks

There are never any words that can be said to make this time any easier. Feelings of loneliness, anger and grief surround the entire community. In rural Illinois community isn't just one town, it could be counties that come together to grieve. At a time like this the only things that can comfort us are good memories of those who left us way too soon.

I've heard a lot about you even though I never got the chance to meet you. I have the honor of being named after you. From what I've been told, you were always having a blast. You constantly were causing people around you to smile because you lived life to the fullest. I wish more than anything that I could've had the chance to meet you. I used to pretend that we would play dress up or that you would do my hair. I'd talk to you while I played on playgrounds or while I played with barbies. Most kids grew up with an imaginary friend while I grew up talking you, Aunt Lisa.

You were telling me you loved me one minute and gone the next. Memories of us jamming out in the car or singing into wooden spoons often cross my mind. I miss you more than words can describe. Your death felt like a nightmare that we couldn't escape, sometimes it still does. I'll never forget you. I'll never stop missing you. And I'll always love you, Mom.

You were that guy in high school that I was extremely intimidated by. Your friends didn't hang out with mine. I knew you were different. After we graduated high school, I became so interested in you and wanted to explore my rebellious side. We got closer than I ever thought we could. I told you things that I had never told anyone and you told me your secrets as well. Very few knew of our bond so when I got the call, it cut deep like a knife. It's hard for me to believe that your gone to this day. Every time I open a Budweiser, you cross my mind. Caleb, this one's for you.

As I scroll through Facebook and Twitter, all that I see is your name. I remember coming to Shelbyville for basketball practice and getting to catch the end of the boys practice. I'd see you out there having a blast. I remember coming to Shelbyville Football games and hearing people yell your name. I remember watching that stupid jorts baseball/softball game that kept me laughing for days. I remember going to homecoming and prom where you were always the life of the party. I may not have known you well but you impacted everyone you came in contact with. You were one of those few people out there who radiated positive energy and true happiness everywhere you went and its obvious by the number of people posting about you. There are so many people out there who loved you and it breaks my heart to see you gone. I was just one of the many people who noticed your amazing personality, Tucker, and we will never forget that.

You all left us too soon. You all impacted my life in one way or another and I will never forget it.

In memory of Lisa Scott, Vicki Floyd, Caleb Rakestraw and Tucker Schwengel.