I'm A Feminist And I'm Not Voting For Hillary Clinton

Not voting for Hillary doesn't make you less of a feminist.

38

April 26th is the Pennsylvania state primary. As a citizen of that great state, it’s my turn to exercise my right to have my voice heard by casting a vote for a potential presidential candidate.

Though I am a feminist, I won’t be voting for Hillary Clinton. Anyone who's been keeping up with the news must be aware of the allegations: her use of the private email server, Benghazi, not to mention old ghosts like the Whitewater scandal that continue to haunt her.

But this isn’t an article about Clinton’s political track record or an attempt at mud-slinging or character assassination: Clinton has faced far more qualified opponents than I.

No, this is about an ideology that has pushed much of Clinton’s campaign, which was encapsulated by two events back in February. At a rally for Clinton in New Hampshire, former secretary of state Madeleine Albright told the assembled that “there’s a special place in hell for women who don’t help each other.” A few days later during an interview with Bill Maher, Gloria Steinem -- arguably one of the most famous feminists on the planet -- claimed that Bernie Sanders has a female support base only because, “When you’re young, you’re thinking: ‘Where are the boys? The boys are with Bernie.’ ”

These two women sliced right to the heart of an issue many of us who identify as feminists still struggle with: must I support another woman in the name of equality, of sisterhood, of progress? In other words, is the very presence of femininity a demand for support, whoever the person may be, however we may disagree with them? To boil it down to one simple question: if I claim to be a feminist, but don’t vote for Hillary, do I negate my feminism?

I firmly believe the answer is no. There is no equality or progressiveness in voting for someone merely because of their gender. Why should I vote for a candidate who I don’t believe in simply because we share two X chromosomes? I’m all for women supporting each other, but should we do so to the exclusion of our own beliefs or feelings? I fail to see what’s empowering in voting for a candidate based on gender alone, while subjugating my own feelings and autonomy. If anything, I find it patronizing; if you choose to vote for Hillary, by all means do so. But please don’t vote for her because she’s a woman. That can be a consideration, sure. But vote for her because you feel passionately about her beliefs, because you feel that, out of everyone in the race, she can get the job done. Because you feel that her experience will be invaluable. Because her stances and policies align with yours. Next to all that, how could you choose a candidate on gender alone?

These two statements would have rankled coming from anyone, but two have been said by two feminists and successful women themselves, they sting. Albright seems to imply that we should all be engaged in some dystopian sisterhood where fraternity is king above all, even our own disagreeing thoughts, opinions, and beliefs. Are these differing ideals not part of what makes us real, complex humans? Women are interesting, diverse creatures, and the presence of similar anatomy doesn’t mean that we all think the same. We shouldn’t be made to feel that, by expressing a different opinion than someone, we are somehow less empowered or less of a modern woman -- such definitions are simplistic and narrow minded.

Additionally, I doubt that the majority of Sanders’ female supporters come from the fact that the “boys” are with Bernie. The idea that anyone would base such a major decision as who to vote for based on the opinions of some guy seems, to me, ridiculous. Are there some Sanders’ supporters who are there because a boyfriend or husband is? Sure, possibly. But couldn’t it be that some men are there because their female partner is? Steinem seems to think that women are some flock of roving sheep, easily led by the nearest man with a loud voice. If Sanders has female supporters, it’s presumably because they have watched debates, read articles, had passionate discussions -- basically all the same things any informed voter from any party, and of any gender, would do before choosing who they feel best represents them.

So for all the women out there who are feminists and not voting for Hillary -- don’t worry. Your decision doesn’t make you less empowered, less egalitarian, or less progressive minded. But then, you already knew that.