Yes, I'm a Feminist. No, I Don't Hate Men.

Girl power > flower power

248
Tumlbr

People often misconstrue the definition of a feminist. They call us man haters. Some may have this idea that we run around with our girl friends in a circle burning our bras on the weekends. Well, newsflash we don't. A feminist is someone that advocates for equal rights in the social, political, economic and legal aspects of life. Nowhere did we say we hated men because we don't (at least true feminists don't). So, I would just like to clear a few more things up for those of you who still aren't convinced we don't hate men.

1. Men can be feminists, too. In fact, it's encouraged.

That's right guys, if you think we deserve equal pay and equal treatment all around, then you're a feminist too. People have this misconception that feminists are all women, but they're highly mistaken.

2. If you get the chance to voice your feminist opinion, and you don't, please do it next time. That is how we help people to understand and possibly change their minds for the better.

Always take the opportunity to take a stand for feminism and confidently voice your opinion, regardless of the possible consequences because being a martyr is never frowned upon if you stand up for something you believe in.

3. Why people frown upon and shy away from confident, powerful women is beyond me...

Just because I'm assertive (and maybe a tad crazy at times), doesn't mean that I should get a label with a negative connotation. That's socially unjust, so get it together America. Powerful, confident women are the reason we can vote, we can have a job, we can choose not to have children, and we can be okay on our own. That's not "being a bitch", that's being a strong, independent woman.

4. FOR THE LAST TIME, FEMINISTS DON'T HATE MEN

We don't hate men; all we desire is equality amongst both sexes.

5. We can do anything a man can do.

Surprise! Women can lift heavy things; we can do our own plumbing; we can fight back; we can have excellent right/left hooks; we can stand up for ourselves. We are no less physically able to do things than men. I mean for crying out loud, we have all of the children last time I checked.

6. And if you don't believe women can do everything men can...

Yeah, get over yourself. That's just ridiculous and misogynistic.

7. Because women can accomplish anything and we are free to make our own decisions...

Not only can women create their own destiny, but young girls

can too. Yes, that's right. If you're 10 and you want to start a business, then do it because it is possible.

8. Don't let them forget about you...

Make sure the boys/men know you've arrived, because you're just as important and they should be warned to watch out for you.

9. Always stick up for ya girls...

One of the most important aspects of feminism is sticking up for fellow women, whether you're a man or a woman. Don't let other people who disagree on the idea of equality for bring your friends, mothers, sisters, girlfriends, nieces, aunts, etc. down. It really is unacceptable.

10. And if people still don't want to listen to you when you proudly speak up and say you're a feminist...

Just roll your eyes, give them attitude, and walk away because they aren't worth your time. Being open-minded isn't many people's strong suit, even when it comes to equality (crazy right?!).

11. So, the next time someone tells you don't deserve to be treated equally as a woman, tell them you are your own person and...

*DROPS MIC