Is Feminism Becoming A Fashion Statement?

Buying into a message versus buying into a product.

65
WhereToGetIt

A few short years ago, I was afraid to talk about issues of gender equality with anyone. It was something that went fairly undiscussed in my high school and only a few of my friends were truly aware of what feminism was. I feel like I share this experience with many who lacked someone to foster their passions with.

Now, entering my third year of college, the circumstances surrounding feminism seem to have taken a turn. While I personally identify as a feminist, I know that it is simply one of many ways that a person can express their passion for gender equality. I by no means want to speak about feminism like it is the best or only option. Moving forward, I think its growth can be attributed to many causes.

While there is always progress to be made, I think society continues to reach small strides in the effort to accept gender equality as a norm. As people become more comfortable speaking their minds both publically and privately, movements like feminism gain popularity because of the numerous benefits they provide. Aligning as a feminist has granted me educational, professional, and social opportunities that I might not have found otherwise. I also love how feminism is expressed differently amongst individuals and can take amazing forms. Finding individuals who share that interest also provides you with a sense of comfortability while still providing a space that encourages fruitful discussion.

While these reasons for feminism’s growth are certainly credible, I’ve begun to think a little bit deeper about the superficial reasons one might decide to take interest in the movement. Don’t get me wrong, I love that the movement is growing. The more the merrier. However, I’m concerned that feminism is becoming more of a fashion statement than a lifestyle. I love a cute “Smash the Patriarchy” t-shirt just as much as the next person, but wearing and doing are two completely different things. I think that people have bought into the fashionable side of feminism without any real commitment to the movement itself. By commitment, I don’t mean picketing every single weekend or founding an organization. I simply mean knowing why you align with the movement, knowing the basic facts about a movement, and adhering to the lifestyle associated with it. The bare minimum. I love that the message has an increasing commercial presence in our society, especially on college campuses. I just believe that feminism, and gender equality at large, is too important for superficial interest.

I think this interest has come about for quite a few reasons. First, the merchandise is appealing. Feminist-inspired art can be funny, sexy, serious, and thought-provoking at the same time. It’s flattering when someone says that they like what you’re wearing or your laptop stickers because they’re different. Additionally, I think it’s a trend that catches like wildfire. Sometimes I’ll see a feminist t-shirt on a random stranger and google it that same night because I want to buy it. It’s a quick response that doesn’t allow you to think about your perception of the message or why you want to promote it in the first place. Finally, celebrities are coming out of the woodwork to support feminism. One after another, familiar faces are expressing their passions for gender equality. While I think this is amazing, I also think some people are eager to support movements that their favorite celebrities support. I’ll be the first to say that I would be willing to try some weird stuff if Beyoncé told me that it was awesome. However, it’s all about intention. Wear something because you love the message that it sends and because it is a message that you believe in.

Do I love feminism? Yes. Am I happy that feminism has acquired a commercial presence? Absolutely. Is there any way to know whether or not someone is a dedicated feminist or merely following a trend? Definitely not. These are simply things that I have noticed both myself and others doing from time to time. Regardless of whether or not my hypotheses hold up, I think dedication to the things we cover our bodies/laptops/etc. with is important.