I Am A Female, And Yes I Love Football

I Am A Female, And Yes I Love Football

I know more than just the basics.

45
I Am A Female, And Yes I Love Football
Ohio Wins

Growing up in a huge family, you learn a lot. Life lessons, how to make sure you're heard, and sports.

My childhood consisted of football and baseball games, wrestling matches, and cheerleading competitions. For as long as I can remember, I was always cheering, and my dad was always coaching on the football field. Football was the main topic at all of our family functions and I wanted to be heard, so I learned football at the age of seven. At first, I only wanted to know so I didn't feel left out in conversations, but I soon found out that it became my number one love in life.

After I learned the basics of football, I was soon sitting at the kitchen table making plays with my dad. Learning what gaps one should shoot, what a slot is the difference between a lateral and screen play. Before I knew it, I was a crazy screaming football fan! My brothers football games were the highlights of my week. Of course I worked my way on to the sideline with becoming the official "water girl" for the team filled with 8 year olds. Being the water girl was great! I heard the coaches talking about the kids, and the kids talking about the coaches and it was very entertaining. Especially when the kids, the coaches and the parents all treated the season like an NFL season.

Before I knew it, my love of football was not only shown at my brothers recreational team games, but I was now watching every game that was on TV. Sports Center became my all time favorite program. I downloaded the Watch ESPN app and got every football app possible. My lunch breaks at work consisted of me checking standings, scores and the latest and breaking news. I was sports consumed.

In high school I looked forward to spending my Friday and Saturday nights watching college football with my family, thats probably why I didn't have many friends but thats ok, I didn't mind at all. Once it came time for me to apply to college, I was convinced I was going to a huge division one school, where football was huge. I didn't go down that road, I went to the local division three school where ESPN didn't broadcast the games, but I am okay with that. My love of football and sports have allowed me to experience many opportunities that I thought I would never have. I have sideline reported for my football team, built connections with successful sports broadcasters, met many professional athletes, and learn skills that I never thought I would have. My love for football has influenced my career choice and I couldn't be more excited about it.

I am a female football fan and I don't apologize for it. Many guys complain about females knowing their information correctly when it comes to sports, and that baffles me. Keep complaining boys, because when I am on the sideline broadcasting for ESPN on your TV, you will be the one asking yourself "how the in the world did she do that?" Being a football fan has influenced my life in so many ways, and I can't wait to see where else it takes me.