This Is How I Feel About People, Including You

Don't think you're the exception. Don't bring yourself down.

263
Mady Neal

We are strange creatures. The human race is incredibly complex and hard to understand. I plan to spend the rest of my life attempting to understand humans and the human mind. This is what I understand and feel about people up to this point.

While our emotions are our own, they are also just a balance of chemicals in our brain. We all need to work to not take everything that everyone says so seriously. It is important to let people know when they’ve hurt you. When we say words, we don’t always think about what effect they could have on the people around us. It’s important for us to be as kind as possible in life because, without kindness, the world is pretty sucky.

That being said, there are no good or bad people. There are decisions that are more or less harmful to others, but just because you do something bad doesn’t mean that you are bad. The world is not definite. None of it is black and white. It is gray, through and through. Keep your mind on kind thoughts towards others because it will make your life and their life much more bearable. Life is hard.

Mental torture will hurt more than any physical pain you can inflict on anyone. This is why it’s so important to watch what you say and do. Words do hurt.

You can get along with anyone if you both try hard enough. This doesn’t mean you should be friends with everyone and change your personality when you’re around each of these people, but remember that you can. There’s someone at school or work that you can’t stand? Change your perspective a bit. There’s something amazing about every human on this earth that can be appreciated.

Human beings are amazing. You are amazing and kind and beautiful. You have so much to give to the world. I’ve never met a person in my life that wasn’t deserving of eternal love. I never will. People do bad things, people make mistakes, and that’s okay. It doesn’t matter what you do with your life, big or small, because you make an impact on someone every day.

Humans are very good at picking up on body language, but we ignore our instincts. The only way we can get through life is through complete truthfulness. You have a question and are scared for the answer? Just ask. You think someone’s uncomfortable? Back off. You think someone has an ultimatum? Ask.

We all want to be loved. So love. Love hard and fast and long. Show people that you care. We all care in some way. Let people know because life is too short to not feel and give love and appreciation to others.

Happiness is relative. I find happiness in whatever I can. One of the smallest things I find happiness in is nature on campus. Seeing the squirrels run around trees tends to be one of the most exciting things for me to watch. Find someplace where you can find true joy. Happiness isn’t dumb, but it is infectious. You can be happy. It’s hard, but you can. Happiness can be found in any and everything. It just takes practice.

As amazing as people are, we are also incredibly dumb. Life is way too short to hide who you are from anyone. You are you. You are original. But, so is everybody else. We all have the right to be our genuine selves without judgment.

People don’t realize that what we find right and wrong has been taught. Just as we were taught to read, write, and count, we were taught what is and isn’t acceptable. But really, who cares about “norms”? If you want to walk down the street singing your favorite song, why shouldn’t you? As long as no one is hurt or harmed, you do you. Norms change, and maybe you’re the one to start that change.

In summary, the human race is complex and beautiful. People are amazing. Every person you meet is important. Everyone has something special to contribute. Humans want love and affection, but sometimes we have trouble conveying that. Just because you do something wrong, doesn’t mean you are any less deserving of happiness than any other human. You are important. You are beautiful. You are worth it. You are loved.