Dear FBS, Look At The FCS And Copy It, TYVM

Dear FBS, Look At The FCS And Copy It, TYVM

Bama and UCF would have played...

186

The College Football Playoff was the best thing for the FBS since the BCS. Pit the four best teams in the nation against each other and may the best team win. This concept, on paper, looked really good and it has been good so far (to those teams who got in, that is). Even though we are only in the fifth year of the Playoff style postseason, we are seeing the dynamics of the playoffs change. It isn't just about winning anymore, but it's about the way you won, who you won against, and were you home or away.

The variables for selecting the top four teams has become difficult and is increasingly going to become more difficult as the years pass. It's debatable that the first twenty teams that have been chosen to compete in the playoffs have deserved the nod that they were given. But that is a consequence of the human decision, human error. Instead of looking for different options to deal with the current postseason for the FBS, why not look at their neighbor the FCS and see how they do things?

The FCS has essentially a 24-team tournament with the top eight teams granted byes for the first round. Additionally, the top-ranked teams are given a home-field advantage for the second round and quarterfinals. Then the semifinals and championship game are played at neutral sites, just like the current FBS playoff bracket.

Now, lets put into perspective what the FBS playoff bracket would like if they were to implement what the FCS already has in place with a slight tweak. The slight tweak in this is the number of teams allowed into the tournament. For the FCS a 24 team tournament sounds ideal, but for the FBS 24 team tournaments sound like recreational league at the YMCA. If the FBS were to implement an eight-team tournament we would have seen some must-see matchups. These matchups are only something you can conjure in a game, but if the FBS got it right it would have truly been the most wonderful time of the year. We would have been given the pleasure of watching the defending champion, Alabama Crimson Tide, versus the self-proclaimed undefeated national champion, Central Florida Knights. This game would have been played in none other than Bryant Denney Stadium.

Think about that...

Other exciting matchups like Clemson vs. Michigan, Notre Dame vs. Ohio State, and rematch between Georgia and Oklahoma would ensue. If the FBS were to implement a system like this think about the difference it would make to College Football.

How do I contact the NCAA?