My Favorite Quotes From My Favorite Movies And Shows
Politics

See if you can recognize these quotes before reading where they are from.

270
"The world will know that free men stood against a tyrant, that few stood against many, and before this battle was over, even a god-king can bleed."

King Leonidas in "300", 2006. This phrase I believe demonstrates the will power and bravado of the spartan army. In this phrase, the venerated kind Xerxes is asking the spartan king to kneel in order to yield. However, King Leonidas decides that his freedom and sovereignty was more important than to be part of the Persian Empire.

"You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible"

Nemo in "Mr. Nobody", 2009. This movie deals with the philosophy of choice of causation. This quote demonstrates a fundamental concept laid out in the movie. The concept is that a choice is a contract with the universe which leads to a certain or uncertain outcome. Moreover, if said contract is never made then all the outcomes are a possibility.

"To obey-just like that for the sake of obeying without questioning, that's something only people like you can do, Captain."

The doctor in "Pan's Labyrinth", 2006. One fundamental flaw in a lot of people in war times is the tendency to follow orders blindly from their superiors. In this scene, the captain finds out that the doctor has been helping the rebels all along, and he asks the doctor why he did not obey. In his last words, the doctor said this quote before being shot by the captain. The doctor did not let his morals be compromised by the fear of authority and death but rather stood for what he believed even if it meant his certain death.

"Power is Power"

Cersei in "Game of Thrones". Most people do not like Cersei in the show Game of Thrones, some might even say she's the worst character. But I think to say this is both erroneous and misleading. Cersei, I would argue, plays the "game" the best. In this Quote, she responds to little finger who makes her aware of his knowledge on her incestual ways; and makes the threat "knowledge is power". However, Cersei responds with an act of ultimate, by ordering her guards to kill him on site; then as they are about to kill him said: "never mind I change my mind, Power is Power". In this line, she both threatens and portrays the scale of her power to Littlefinger.

"The future is scary, but you can't just keep running back to the past because it's familiar."

Robin in "How I Met Your Mother", 2005-2014. As a lot of people are graduating, the future can look very grim and we wish we could stay in college. However, what Robin teaches us is that the future is simply the next step to a grand journey. The past is only comfortable because we have already done it.