When people generally think about weight loss, they capitalize on the idea of skipping meals: particularly breakfast.

After all, it's easy to hold back on food for just a few hours after waking up. Maybe these people are busy commuting to work, walking to school, or simply don't feel hungry early in the morning. However, skipping breakfast carries many drawbacks.

Endorsed by Dr. Richard N. Fogoros, VeryWell Fit discusses how people have proven more successful with weight loss through eating breakfast. One aspect of this discussion is how cravings later in the day can set back the calories "saved" from breakfast. Breakfast partly functions as a way to control cravings, so skipping breakfast would likely cause an individual to opt for classically unhealthy snacks later in the day. Similar to the idea of cravings, a well-prepared breakfast that includes appropriate amounts of protein and grains will help sustain a constant blood sugar level, ensuring that you feel full for longer.

VeryWell Fit concludes that though skipping breakfast comes with its consequences, it is different for everyone. Some individuals are able to control their cravings and not overeat to make up for the calories they missed at breakfast.

TIME takes an opposite stance, reporting that studies have concluded how skipping meals has no effect on weight. The article introduces the idea of eating dinner earlier and fasting for the rest of the night. TIME recounts a study that compared skipping breakfast, skipping dinner, and eating three meals per day. Conclusions drawn from the study indicate that people are able to burn more calories by skipping dinner. However, no changes in glucose levels were recorded.

Eating breakfast early does not guarantee faster metabolism. Healthline addresses the common myth that eating breakfast enhances metabolism. Though eating food in the morning induces the body's metabolic processes, metabolism does not differentiate food based on the time it was consumed in the day.

Directly tackling this issue, Julia Belluz from Vox explores how research is beginning to show that eating breakfast could lead to a higher-calorie diet as well as weight gain. From conducting various studies, researchers have discovered that people who eat breakfast consume around "260 more calories per day" and were heavier in weight compared to people who opt out of eating breakfast. Due to this discovery, skipping breakfast can become a tactic for people to lose weight.

The debate about eating breakfast is the act of continually trying to weigh the pros and cons. As more studies are beginning to debunk myths surrounding breakfast, we realize that certain strategies we have previously relied on to lose weight or "be healthier" lead us to achieve the opposite effect. Whether or not you eat breakfast, you do not need to adjust your dietary lifestyle unless you don't maintain a healthy diet.