Dispatch From Farm Science Review 2016 at OSU

5
Flickr

For those who don't know, Farm Science Review was this past week. September 20-22. Farm Science Review is generally termed FSR for those who know what it is. FSR is held every year around the same time. There are a lot of industry professionals that have booths about the new technology and information on their company. It is open to everyone with varied interests. There are student organizations that have various booths, mainly with food. It is FREE to Ohio State Students with a Buckeye ID, and about $10 for others. Buckeye Dairy Club is one of the student organizations that has a booth at FSR. Dairy Club sells milkshakes, ice cream, cups of milk, and grilled cheese. It is always a good time when you are working at Farm Science Review. If you are new to dairy club it is a good way to get to know people better and start making friends, there is no better time to make friends that when you're talking to pass the time while making milkshakes.

In the past, Dairy Club has used food processors to help make the milkshakes at a high volume. The only problem with this is that the food processors got used so much, there was 3-4 that stopped working every year. The food processors worked well, but they did not put out enough milkshake volume fast enough. A food science major that was in the club, along with other food science people came up with a new method of making milkshakes quicker. This new method consisted of having a 5-gallon container, mixing had a container of ice cream and a gallon of milk. The vanilla milkshakes took less than a whole gallon of milk, but the chocolate took the whole gallon. This method helped keep the line moving, but did nothing to help the amount of people in the line. The theory of this new process would be that we could get people through the line quicker than in years past. The new method really helped and it made the milkshake making easier. There was one person that was cutting up the tubs of ice cream, and one person mixing the milkshakes. Then there was a third person that poured the milkshakes into the containers so another person could pit them into cups. The third person also got the next batch of milkshakes ready to be mixed up.

This year was a lot of fun, even though I did not get the chance to really walk around FSR. Talking friends while making milkshakes is fun, and you have to be ready to get milk and ice cream all over you. I went to class on Tuesday, I forgot a change of clothes, covered in melted ice cream and milk.

If you are at all interested in going to FSR, I suggest you go. Enjoy the day walking around and seeing what industry professionals have to say.