Farewell, My Sweet Aunt

Farewell, My Sweet Aunt Diane

It's really hard not to write this without crying.

33

Dear Aunt Diane,

It's not really fair that you're gone.

It's not fair that you were fine Friday morning, January 11th, and then gone that evening.

Why did you have to go so soon and unexpectedly?

You never had heart problems, but yet you had a heart attack.

I was about to see you next month after fifteen years, but now you're gone, forever.

You were always so sweet, kind, and generous. You always thought about everyone but yourself.

I am glad you were my godmother.

Some of my favorite childhood memories are with you.

You gave the best hugs and the best phone calls.

If I could have only given you one last hug and talked to you one more time.

I loved how you called me Chia Caramia, even til the day you died.

You always cared so much for my brother and me, you were always interested in what we were doing, and you were rooting for us all the time. You were proud of me for graduating from college. You were proud of me for getting into grad school, which was only a week ago.

I have a hole in my heart since Friday. I am so heartbroken that such a beautiful soul has passed away so unexpectedly, my sweet godmother, my Aunt Diane.

**********************

My Aunt Diane had a huge passion for dogs, her nieces and nephews, and her granddaughter, Hailey. She also loved her siblings, my Aunt Helene, my Uncle Anthony, my mom, and her daughter very much.

She loved old movies and Jesus.

When I was in an abusive relationship she somehow knew. She had a feeling, an inclination.

She had great sympathy and compassion for people, including people she hardly knew. I think that's where I get that from.

I've always wanted to visit California. I've never been. Now I'll be going there at the beginning of February for a gathering of my Aunt Diane's passing.