A Farewell to Dobbs

A Farewell to Dobbs

We all have that special place in our heart for the ol' Dobbs dinning hall. With plans to tear it down, along with Jones residence hall, we remember the good times we all shared. 

For the freshmen living in the dorms, Dobbs is your best friend. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, it is always there for you, whether you like it or not. You knew the meal schedule like the back of your hand and knew which days were the best (especially Thanksgiving dinner). You will never forget waiting in line outside, even in the winter, just for those magical doors to let you in.

For people living in Jones, Lathrop or Laws, Dobbs was a second home for you. It was a place where you could come in wearing sweatpants and a hoodie, or even wearing your clothes from the night before, and it never judged. But if you dressed up for Dobbs, people might look at you a little funny.

For the upperclassmen, you loved texting all the freshman asking them to swipe you in. As you get older, Dobbs is still a second home. You still go for spicy chicken sandwiches and wok Wednesdays, because why not. Also, you can never go wrong with the buffalo chicken sandwiches or the pasta bar, which was always reliable.

It is a place that always has your back. Whether it’s the times you waited outside in the freezing cold for the clock to strike 11 a.m., or when the Dobbs worker comes to open the doors, it was like Christmas morning. Even when you waited in the wok line for over an hour, everyone knew it was worth it.

Dobbs brunch is the best meal. On Saturdays and Sundays at 11 a.m., they open up their doors, not only food but also for an experience. People come 30 minutes before the doors even open just to be the first in line for pancakes or an omelet. You can sit there for hours procrastinating studying by just gossiping about the weekend and listening to all the drama, but you love it.

Swipes have become our best friends and even though it is changing, it won’t change the memories we all shared sitting at those tables eating our t-ravs and finishing them off with an ice cream sundae.  Although the food wasn’t always reliable -- throwback to the broccoli spider eggs incident last year -- it wasn’t just about the food, it was all about the experiences you shared at the one and only Dobbs Pavilion.