Ohana means family.

Family: One strong, powerful word

Family is not an important thing, it's everything.

111

I'm currently thinking back to kindergarten when my teacher asked the class to draw their family. I always drew dad the tallest, mom the second tallest, then me and lastly, my younger brother. I remember learning how to draw clothes so the members of my family were not stick figures anymore.

Well, those were the good old days.

I remember making my mom a craft for Mother's Day and my dad a craft for Father's Day. I remember my mom playing "American Idol" with me on my PlayStation and my dad solving every math problem in .5 seconds to assist me with my homework.

I am beyond fortunate.

At a young age, the importance of family is different depending on your specific family. Fortunately, my family always instilled the importance through our heads.

When high school came to an end and I spent my first night in my freshman year college dorm, I realized a lot. Family was something I should never take for granted. Many people told stories about their parents being drug addicts, abandoning them, abusing them, or even some were not alive.

Compared to these stories, my life was a blessing. My mom, dad, and brother had just dropped me off at college as they waved goodbye, smiling ear to ear. Not everyone in this world is as fortunate and lucky as I am.

However, this opened up my eyes. This world is a scary place to face alone. No matter the circumstances with your family, find at least one person (who may not be blood-related), that you can call FAMILY.

I believe that every single human being deserves the comforting feeling of family. Family isn't always blood. It is the people in your life who will accept you for who you are. The ones who would do anything to see you smile and who love you no matter what.

The world today lacks the empathy for others who do not have a family. I hope that a majority of our population can do small, kind gestures in hope to attend to those who need a family.

The littlest gesture can go a long way.

Every winter holiday season, my family would "adopt a family." We would receive a list from a family for their wants and wishes for that holiday season. Giving back is one of the most important things as a living human being.

The gift giving was not the best part of it. The best thing about it was the smile on these children's faces when they barely had a functioning family and fresh underwear to wear the next day. I knew we had made a difference.

When I worked at a summer camp, I experienced something similar. My one camper told me she never had a best friend that felt like a sister. By the end of the summer, she turned to me and said, "You are my only best friend and sister." My heart felt warm inside. Even though she had a family and I was not blood-related, I influenced this young girl's life and made her feel like she had one person.

I know there are many, many different circumstances and situations, but you never know how YOU can make a difference.

Next time you face an opportunity to give back to someone in need, do not think twice about it.