Why My Family Will Always Come First

Why My Family Will Always Come First

Family is not always blood. Family is home.

64
Why My Family Will Always Come First
Personal

“Family is not an important thing, it’s everything.” - Michael J. Fox

Family is a funny thing, it isn't always traditional. It's not always defined by your blood. Family can be your parents or your best friends. If nothing else, there is one thing I know. Family is everything. For me it isn't a single place or location, for me family is simply, HOME, the only home I know of at this point in life.

I come from a BIG family. That word is in all caps because I don't want you to think I am over exaggerating, I'm not. Most people never speak to their extended family, and simply consider their parents or siblings family. For me counting the members of my family can take over an hour. I didn't grow up near any of them, but we always had the greatest reunions anytime we could. I was greeted with hugs from over 50 people during Christmas time and that's just on my mothers side. From second to third cousins I see them all. I treat them like my siblings. They will be my bridesmaids and my kids Godparents. I was blessed from a young age with several best friends. I moved all the time and those best friends I had were my first, second, and third cousins. I never had to wonder if they loved me, and if they didn't like me that day then they would like me tomorrow. I never had to worry about drama because the next day we would make up because we were family. Their parents are my parents too. We never leave each other or ever stop loving each other. No matter what they will always be there.

I was lucky to have both my parents families come from similar areas so Holidays are a one stop shop. I could spend the entire year away but as soon as Christmas came around within 24 hours I would see over 70 family members. It's never changed and for someone with so much change in their life I cherish that.

I'm sad when people speak ill of their family. I know every situation is different and their are some messed up family situations people get dealt with but having a strong foundation has saved my life so many times. To know for the rest of my life I have someone to go to is a blessing. My family is a blessing.

I can't tell you to have a good relationship with your family but try to. Don't ever forget that family isn't blood. The closet family to me is not blood, but it is home. It's something to rely on.

I hope you tell them you love them tonight. I hope you cherish every moment. I hope you don't ever forget where you come from cause it makes you who you are. It's what built you and got you here.

“Think of your family today and every day thereafter, don’t let the busy world of today keep you from showing how much you love and appreciate your family.” -Josiah