"My father once said, 'If you're in the desert and you're dying of thirst, are you going to drink a glass of blood or are you going to drink a glass of water?' I think what he was trying to say, interesting coming from my blood father, is sometimes there are people in your family that can be toxic. " - Nicolas Cage
Here is a simple reminder that just because they are your family members it does not mean that they are beneficial to your physical, psychological or metaphysical health.
1. Your duty is to yourself.
2. Your feelings and your experiences are your truths.
3. Your existence is valid.
4. You do not owe anyone anything.
5. You are not obligated to stay.
6. Lying to reduce the probability of engagement is not okay.
7. Making excuses for another's negative behavior is not okay.
8. Living with constant anxiety because of uncertainty is not okay.
9. Listening to one family member talk negatively about another is not okay.
10. Not doing what's best for you and your health is NOT Okay.
11. Refer to #1
“Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life, but define yourself.” – Harvey Fierstein