There's No Handbook On How To Fall In Love In College

So do it how it fits you best.
365

I'm at that point in my life where I basically have three different sets of friends. My graduating class is basically split into three parts. There's the half that has a job, a kid or two, and married. Then there's the half that has no interest in a relationship, drinks every night of the week, and constantly complains about being broke and their excessive amount of homework. And then there is the very small portion that falls in between the two. Those maybe still in college, or just graduating, maybe in a relationship but not quite to the point of marriage, and those working an adult job, but maybe not fully transitioned into everything that means being an adult.

Most people seem to handle this phase with grace. I, however, am having a few struggles. You see, I fall in that category of those few in between. I am still in college and will be for six more years (vet school..), but I live with my boyfriend whom I have talked marriage with. I sometimes feel as if I should hold off on marriage, I mean what's the rush? I don't plan on having kids until I am done with school, so why rush to marry? But then again, I have the part of me that wishes the job, marriage, and kids part of life could come a little quicker.

I mean, how am I supposed to do both? I have to live away from my boyfriend during the school year, except on breaks, because I go to school in another city, an hour away. So if we get married right now, how is that supposed to work? Is it okay to be married and live apart? Or should we just wait?

It's an awkward phase for sure, being in between what I feel like is being a true adult, and still being a college kid.

I know I can't be the only one to feel this way.

There's just no handbook on how to do these things. I mean no one seems to wait and do things the old fashioned way, finish school, get married, get a job, have kids. So since the standard is changing, it's confusing to me.

I guess we just take it as we take everything now and interpret it the way it fits best. Go to college or get a job, fall in love and get married on your own timeline, if a kid pops in the picture, handle it the best way possible.

Love is complicated, so this isn't supposed to be easy. That's the true test of knowing if that relationship is gonna work, because you have to deal with life in between.

So, whatever phase you're at in your young adult life, do things how they fit you best and don't worry about the rest.