Just Because You're Not In A Relationship Doesn't Mean You Can't Enjoy Fall

Attention singles, hold on to your pumpkins, because it's time to get spooky.

vicalv
vicalv
404

It's that time of year again.

Pumpkins, Halloween Horror Nights, horror movies, candy, and—of course—annoying, but adorable couples flaunting their relationships. Pumpkin patches are filled with married couples and their babies doing ridiculously cute photoshoots. Clever college couple costumes parading Pinterest boards. Thanksgiving and Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/other religious holiday conversations with your nosey family members are almost exclusively revolving around the impending question of your non-existent significant other.

My intention is not to sound bitter at all, but let's be real, the holidays are dominated by couples.

It's almost normalized to feel lonely when you are single during the holidays. People poke fun through tweets and memes and it's all fun and dandy to laugh about it. But to be honest, when you see your best friends looking hella cute while carving pumpkins with their significant others, it kind of sucks.

But I purpose a new form of thinking: get spooky all by yourself, boo. It's time to get creative.

Go to the pumpkin patch, ignore the cute couple with the insanely adorable baby, and get the weirdest looking pumpkin you can find. Instead of carving a normal jack-o'-lantern, create a funny original masterpiece. Maybe carve an intricate silhouette or make a pumpkin version of your best friend. Go wild.

Costumes are annoying because there are so many cute couple ideas. My suggestion? Be a tasteful but a satirical asshole. Do a couple costume idea with your bestie. Can you imagine anything better than two frat boys who are clearly in full swing of their Bromance being Baby and Johnny from "Dirty Dancing?" Or two girls being Bill and Ted from "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure?"

If you want to go solo, get specific with your Pinterest boards and find clever single costumes. Guys have limited options because they can't put on lingerie (or can you? *wink*) and call it day. Maybe be the "Hello, welcome to chili's" vine or a Teletubby. Girls, maybe you shouldn't put on lingerie and call it a day because the slutty animal costumes are a bit overdone. Put down the "Risky Business" button down and be the best, random, obscure 90s figure you can be.

The holidays with the fam is a bit tricky. They have a way of finding your weakness and cutting through it like a roasted turkey. Contain the urge to throw ornaments at your loved ones or smashing gingerbread houses when they ask "Are you still single, honey?" Instead, own up to it and be proud of it. Hell yeah, you are single and you are going to enjoy the hell out of fall.

Roast horror movies with your best friends while snacking on candy you illegally brought from home. Use your friends as a shield and scream at Halloween Horror Nights, it's better than trying to act tough to impress someone. Dress up for fall festivals and take cute pictures for the gram. The options are endless.

The fall season is amazing and it shouldn't be seen as a negative reminder. It should be seen as a positive reminder to enjoy being a hot, carefree single while you still can.