Why I Write
Family Friends

5 Reasons Why I Write

No, I don't get paid; I have a passion and that's reward enough.

255
5 Reasons Why I Write
Personal Photo by Mackenzie Boivin

Once people find out that I don't get paid for my work with Odyssey (unless you guys start sharing my articles so my word can get out, wink wink) the next questions is, "So...why do you write then?" This answer is loaded to the max. I could take the casual side, the serious side or the long explanation no-one-really-cares-for side. I have mixed feelings about it all. There are days that I DREAD writing my articles. Writer's block is too real. And, there are days where I can't sleep at night because I have 18,345,293 article ideas in my head and I am passionate about EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. Odyssey is my outlet and gives me the ability to thrive in an environment I may not otherwise had the chance to. Here are just a few reasons why I write:

1. Passion

Me at 1 a.m. with article ideas galore.

As noted above, I can have thoughts running rampant through my mind at any and all time. Sometimes, I can't even focus, because I'm writing it all out in my head. I have ideas that I feel need attention, and I want my opinions to be heard and facts to be shared. Sometimes, things aren't always what they seem, and that's why I always try to back up my opinions with facts when I am truly passionate about the subject.

2. I talk A LOT

What you hear when I talk.

Many people know me as this crazy, outgoing blabbermouth, so why not translate that to written word? It sparks conversation starters galore. I had a FaceTime the other night with someone I barely talk to, but we spoke and debated on one of my last articles. The passion leads to articles and people actually read my stuff, even though I like to just think my only reader's are Bekah, my mom and dad and my nana.

3. Growth

Me reading other articles.

While this style of writing is more lackadaisical than traditional paper writing for college classes, it gives me a chance to broaden my knowledge. Being plugged into a community like this doesn't just give me a chance to speak my mind, but to thousands of others as well. I learn new things, even if it is when my editors fix my terrifying excuse for grammar. Growing in my writing and growing in my knowledge--those things are important to me.

4. Opportunity

Take that chance.

I'm not a Comm major, a Journalism major or even a minor in anything with a more concentrated base in writing. I'm not even a liberal arts major; I am a business major. I wouldn't have the opportunity to express myself in this manner in too many other settings, so I saw an opportunity and scooped it up while I had the chance. Not only do I get to write, but I get to use my leadership skills in other positions. I have been a Social Media Director and now am the VP of Business Operations. I get these leadership opportunities to work within a small community that is connected to a large corporation. Not all college clubs can say that.

5. I Can

Inspirational.

I have an education that allows me to write. I have the ability and talent to craft articles that people are interested in. And I don't want to squander these skills. I have this great opportunity and this great ability, so why stop? While, some days I can't think of anything, I sit myself down and my fingers do their magic. I have a talent and I am not here to waste it.

I know there are hundreds of other writers out there that would agree. It may not be about the money, we just want to speak our minds in a way we have the ability to. And, to everyone who reads my articles, thank you! Every share, comment and like makes my day!

Related Articles Around the Web