Faculty And Staff Bearing Arms On School Campus
Politics

Should this be allowed? What are the risks to follow?

93

School shootings have been the talk of the news since the Parkland Florida shooting on February 14, 2018. Since the 1999 Columbine High School shooting, there have been 25 school shootings that have led to fatalities. When it comes to fatalities, here are the ranks:

1. Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA: 33 deaths; 17 injuries

2. Sandyhook Elementary, Newtown, CT: 27 deaths; 2 injuries

3. Stoneman Douglas High School, Parkland, Fl: 17 deaths; 14 injuries

4. Columbine High School, Newtown, CT: 15 deaths; 24 injuries

The sad truth is that there are some states allowing school districts which are training and allowing their faculty and staff to be armed while on campus. Districts such as Harrold and Holliday Independent School Districts have allowed members of their staff to carry a weapon for years, but Harrold was one of the first in the nation to give permission to their faculty.

It is difficult to imagine that all schools should slowly allow their faculty and staff to be armed while on school property or to even have a gun within the classrooms. The schools would need to pay for proper training for their faculty in gun safety and control as well as pay for their arms that they will have for their members. The cost for providing firearms for schools are hard to estimate due to the lack of knowledge of how much schools are currently paying, but there is no doubt that it will not be a minimal cost.

It has been noted that experts are not 100% positive that policies the Trump Administration are proposing will likely reduce school shootings or death tolls. Not only should we consider the cost of training and firearms, but also consider the fact that the alternatives of armed guards can increase insurance rates due to the risks of accidents occurring and increasing.

As members of our communities, we should speak up and voice our opinions as well as alternatives that will increase the protection of the future generation and faculty that are in schools. We should consider their safety and how these potential alternatives can affect them if they were put into action within our schools.

Let us not be afraid to send our children to schools due to the fear of a potential school shooting. Let us create an environment where their protection and safety is granted and secured. We should no longer fear the risk of losing students and faculty members because people have found their way to gain access to a weapon. We should protect our students and faculty members.

Think, share, act. Let us save lives and reduce mass shootings so that our future generation can grow and prosper.