Face Masks Are The New Fashion Accessory

These days I don't leave my house without a face mask.

67

The new normal has already crept into our lives. These days I don't leave my house without a face mask. It's the kind from the hospital, like the one I wore when my husband was in intensive care. My apartment complex passed a gift bag around several weeks ago with the masks, gloves, sanitizer wipes, and liquid soap. I appreciated them all though I didn't believe I would ever really need them. I am lucky enough that no one in my circle of family and friends has contracted it, yet I do know it is all a matter of time before it comes knocking on my door.

However, that is not what this article is about. I am somewhat astounded by the recent advertisements that are bombarding social media for designer face masks. It wasn't very long ago that the average American commented on the absurdity of the Chinese walking around daily in face masks. Their masks, of course, were the typically white surgical or hospital-style and did not show much imagination. Along comes, COVID-19 and a new trend or style are born out of it. However, I don't believe this is a fad accessory, like the spinner or selfie sticks.

The variety of styles has exploded in record time. There is the basic black mask that has an image of a smile, with or without teeth. Red lip smiles, a dog mouth, and even Corona Beer logo. There are tie-dyed masks, masks with flowers, flamingos, palm trees, dogs, cats, fish, and even dragons. Etsy has a volume of specialized masks and You-Tube has several videos of how to make your masks.

There are several styles of masks to choose from, motorcycle riders, skiers, and firefighters have been wearing a version of a mask for years. They don't only cover the mouth and nose, but also the neck, and top of the head leaving only the eyes exposed. These I would consider hardcore masks and would be best left for the hard-core men and women who use them. Unless of course, you plan on traveling to the north any time soon or maybe purchasing a Harley.

Of course, there are kinky masks you can find on the adult websites, many have spikes and chains. Imagine the person who has a mask fetish right now is having a field day with all the people wandering around in public.

There is also a wrap that has been used in the past as a sweatband or headband for outdoor activities. It can be reconfigured to cover the mouth and nose for some protection while outdoors for much needed physical activity.

Soon we will be celebrating the 4th of July and patriotic masks will line the accessory isles of the local Target and Kohls and even Michaels. Many families will have their family reunions and instead of the typical tee-shirt each attendee will wear a face mask that has the logo "Jones Family Reunion 2020."

Everyone will have a sock drawer and a face mask drawer. Kids school photos will forever be different, everyone will look the same except for the face mask. And will we see Santa sitting in his chair with a festive face mask?

Here's a thought, when you have a conversation with another person, do you look at their lips or their eyes? For those people with hearing impairments or just automatically read lips, their lives are going to forever be turned upside down when in a public situation.

No matter what your taste is, there is a face mask to meet your personality. Just last Christmas the big novelty item was socks, it used to be tee shirts or ball caps, but they aren't accessories and we can buy the socks, tee-shirt and a ball cap to match our face mask.