Yes, Self-Care Is More Than Just A Face Mask

I said it, and I'll do it again.

30

The title is correct. You cannot just slap on a face mask and call it "self-care." For one, the face mask will not rid away of the issues that you faced that day, and they certainly won't wash off with at the end of your routine. Sure, your face may feel refreshed, but you really should invest in a whole skincare routine and not rely on the mask alone.

This is a self drag, by the way.

Sometimes we believe that self-care is doing what makes us happy.

And while very true, it is also making sure that you set aside time for yourself, away from the stresses of school, of family & friends, and of just life. Your piece of mind is more than just a Freeman's clay mask (which is terrible for your skin, by the way).

I'll give you a clear example. My job requires endless emails back and forth, and I receive almost 15 emails a day. I have to set aside a folder just for work emails so they don't intertwine with school emails. For me, this can cause me to be very anxious when I receive multiple emails all at once. I ultimately end up not answering most of them because I feel so overwhelmed. I've learned that I don't have to answer every email right away, and it is okay to feel overwhelmed. I set aside a time that I will sit down and answer the emails all at once. And it knocks it right off my to-do list.

Journaling is also a great form of self-care. While you have all of your thoughts from the day, jot them down so you can free up your head space. Get out anything that has been bothering you, or something that even concerns you. Coloring can also be a way to find solace as well.

Self-care is also cutting off the people who wear you out.

Those that are unhealthy for you (not going to use the overly used word t*xic here). Letting people go who are not supporting your growth, or bringing you to the depths of nothingness is definitely taking care of ones self.

You can continue to stock up on cute little sheet masks from Riley Rose, but please do make sure that you are looking out for more than just your face (and sheet masks don't do anything but hydrate anyways).

Also, wearing SPF is a form of self-care. Just saying.