Dear Extroverts, Please Understand These Things About Introverts

Every introvert is different, so I may not be speaking for all introverts.

101
Public Domain Pictures

As an introvert, I spend most of my time alone.

It's not because I'm unfriendly or trying to make people uncomfortable, but I'm just shy and need my space. People have been judging me for being quiet since I was in middle school, and they continue to judge me to this day, but I'm used to it. I don't care what others think because I know who I am.

I can be your best friend if you let me, but if you don't want anything to do with me, then all I will wish for you is that you are successful and that you have a great life.

I cannot speak for every introvert even though I would love to do so, but I can speak for myself. The key points when being friends with me and probably some other introverts are not to assume things or take everything that was said or done too personally.

I wish people understood that when I ignore them, it is because I am busy, not because I don't like them.

Even if I am completely ignoring them while I am doing my homework, it's not because I don't want anything to do with them. In fact, it very well may be the opposite, but they just caught me at the wrong time because I was finally getting to the point where I could concentrate as it takes me a while to reach that point.

I cannot begin to count all of the times somebody has misread me.

They think they know everything about me when they only know the first impression I tend to give people. There have only been a few times where people have taken the chance to get to know the real me because they wanted to get to know the real me. One friend who comes to mind has become one of my best friends over the year we have known each other. She saw my first impression and thought that I did not like her, but she decided to give me a chance.

I am shy, so if somebody takes it personally, I'm not intentionally trying to make the person feel unwelcome.

I am very hospitable and welcoming, and my friends know it. However, not every person has taken the chance to get to know me. My door is always open to talk, drink tea, and to relax.

Not only have multiple friends have told me that I was one of the reasons they felt welcome at my old college, but I also recall one day when one of my friends came to my dorm room after church, and we just sat, talked, and drank tea.

We talked about current events, and even though our opinions on the events differed, we respected each other and embraced our differing opinions. She said I spoiled her because I served her favorite kind of tea with fresh, raw honey, but I just looked at it as me being the hostess I am. She recently told me I had hosted her while she was going through a difficult time, which I didn't know at the time what all was going on in her life.

I try to make people feel welcome and free to express their opinions without being judged, and that is what I aim to do every day of my life because I don't know how somebody's past has affected the person's present, and I don't know what situations are going on in his life that is making him the way he is.

Contrary to popular belief, I have friends, and we have strong, supportive friendships with each other.

Just because one might see me alone most of the time doesn't mean I don't have friends. I don't always do everything with my people, but during my times in the peaceful solitude of myself, I am either doing homework or recharging from the day because my alone time is crucial; it helps me get through the rest of the day and to take the chance to chill.

My friends understand that I need to be alone at certain times, and they don't take it personally.

Yes, they wish I would tag along more, and yes, I realize I am missing out on a fun time, but if I am honest, being around even the people I love very dearly exhausts me. It exhausts me being around people because that is just the way I am; it's not because I get sick of being with these people. If I were tired of being friends with certain people, I would stop replying to their messages and invitations altogether.

I realize that not all extroverts understand how introverts work, and they may or may not expect everybody to work the same way they do.

I just wanted to take this time hopefully to clarify any misunderstandings or confusions extroverts may have about introverts. Please understand that introverts need more space than extroverts. If somebody is outgoing and talkative, that does not mean they are an extrovert, and just because someone is shy and reserved does not mean they are an introvert.

When we do not respond within a day or two, realize that we need a little bit of time to ourselves with minimal human contact just to catch up in life.

Please understand that we introverts cannot always be on the go, so if we decline an invitation to go out, then we are doing it so that we can have more fun later. Don't always go by first impressions, as we may need time to warm up.

Invite us to hang out and go to parties even if we are busy working on their homework; we may be having trouble finding friends and in need of some friends, so we act busy with work in hopes somebody will ask us.