Exploring My Suite Life

Exploring My Suite Life

All there is to know about my home away from home.

6
Exploring My Suite Life
Alec Connell

Orientation

Zinging up the short staircase to the second floor of the Viking residence hall on the central campus of Salem State University is never too much of a hassle. The building in general is very well lit and filled with brightly painted rooms, so if you're first time visitors it won't take much navigating to reach room 207, the fourth suite on the right. When you reach the white board with an inviting message accompanied by a poorly drawn Disney castle, feel free to add your favorite Walt classic to the board before giving the door directly on the right of it a loud knock. Seriously though, if the knock doesn't hurt your hand at least mildly, it is highly likely the sound of pop punk music from the late 90's, early 2000's, and even the newest releases of the alternative style, are moshing over the sound of your arrival. Mind the small braided area rug when walking into the common area between the two doubles, shower room and toilet room -- it tends to get caught on the door, collecting an exorbitant amount of dust that the trusty $15 vacuum from Walmart won't take care of.

What To Bring

Offerings of vegan friendly snacks are welcome, but not necessary upon entering the suite for the first time; Though it wouldn't hurt for your likelihood of getting an invitation to a second or third visit. Consider packing food for your trip, considering the small mini fridge and storage space for food accompanied by the university allows only for a few bags of veggie straws, K-cups and two varieties of plant based cheese. Definitely bring an extension chord and a certified by Apple iPhone charger if you'd like to sit comfortably during staring at your phone and not engaging in conversation with others (see "Activities"). This will help since the suite's in Viking are notorious for poor placement of all of two outlets in each of the dorm rooms. Do bring a sense of humor and your inside voice, especially if visiting during the quiet hours posted respectfully in the ground level lounge where you entered. Allow yourself to travel hands free of bedding if you are planning to extend the visit past 3AM (Eastern time zone). There's always a fresh set of sheets folded neatly in the closet area, and a self-inflatable air mattress stored underneath the bed on the left of room 207A to accommodate late night tourists.

When To Go

It is most recommended to travel to My Suite after 2 p.m. on any given day, and definitely not any earlier if considering a Sat-Mon stop. The population of three inside My Suite would not be delighted to wake up any earlier than mother nature intends on the days they are not rushing to a 8 or 9 a.m. class. Preferably, those residing in My Suite will receive an SMS message that you are planning to stop by, and ideally, during undergraduate-friendly hours.

Activities

Some of the best and most notable activities in Salem occur directly in My Suite, below they are highlighted for you.

~ Watching Disney classics/Horror films of any time period/Documentaries on sustainability, social injustices, or animal rights/90's hit TV programs/American Horror Story/Harry Potter movies on Netflix.

~ Singing along to The 1975, Halsey, Melanie Martinez, and any band you'd consider whiny or emo from the past 20 years, when they roar at high volumes from the speaker placed next to the mason jars on display for aesthetic value (Refer to "Society And Culture").

~ Taking obnoxiously long luxury showers with dozens of different products from LUSH Cosmetics, filling the quarters of My Suite with a sweet and uplifting aroma. Attending event may require express permission from the population, given that some of these amenities are limited edition, after all. Do consult with Alec from room 207A if the large variety of shower gels, shampoo, conditioner, and skin care are overwhelming for you; They'll be sure to offer a consultation and suggest the most suitable items for your regimen, suite member may offer samples of each item if you catch them on a good day.

~ Informative makeup lectures, featuring cosmetology enthusiast Colin Buckley. In My Suite, resident Colin, living in room 207B gives the mediocre makeup wearers some tips and tricks, do's and don'ts, and who and why's, about what products and brands they might have luck with. Application techniques of best practice, by Colin, and worst practice by Alec, are often displayed for example in the west mirror 10-15 minutes prior to any important event, appointment, or class.

**Please attend event with respect and an open mind, homophobia is not supported in My Suite, or in general, either -- because no.**

~ Staring at your phone and not engaging in conversation with others.

~ Carefully nibbling away a whole sleeve of Oreos topped with Skippy peanut butter in an effort to be quiet and not wake up any sleeping souls. This delicacy is almost always completed alone and between the hours of 1-5AM

~ Selfie taking, not only in the mirror that is consistently wiped fresh with an ammonia free cleansing agent, but also a foot in length away from where the natural light sneaks into My Suite via the northwest window.

Society And Culture

People native to this tourist hot spot are known for their profound love for different fields of science, creative expression, literature, and crushing social stigmas. Environmentalists notice the proper recycling procedures executed and the conservation of energy by switching off power strips at night and when not in use here in My Suite. My Suite respects and openly welcomes all ethnic backgrounds and nationalities, religions, gender identities, and sexual orientations into the area. Canvases with inspirational quotes, posters, and Mason jars featuring an array of alluring items included but not limited to, wilted flowers, glitter, crushed bath bombs, positive memories, and bracelets with song lyrics are displayed throughout the suite -- making My Suite a visual experience for visitors. My Suite's residents will not shame you for supporting Trump, but they may be concerned and offer help through whatever crisis you might be going through that's left you so confused. The overall progressive attitude of the people here allows comfort and safety for all walks of life. This is one concept My Suite embraces that the community would argue Trump does not.

DISCLAIMER: If a visitor intends to disrupt the flow of good vibes they are politely dismissed from My Suite. Keep that in mind before favoring racist, sexist, or otherwise offensive and crude stances on political and social conflicts.

Happy travels!