The Expert Shelf: 12 Horror Movies For Experts Only

Brace yourself for these ones.

402
Movie Steve

I have already compiled a list of scary movies that are ideal for beginners. That list was a suggestion, this one is a warning. If none of those videos appealed to you or your horror-curious friend, you may have to keep searching. In your search, I advise you stay away from these movies. This is the expert list, and it's not for the faint of heart. On the contrary, if you feel that you are ready to try out some of the scariest of the scary, feel free to take a gander. NOTE: I'm including mainstream horror movies that you may encounter in everyday life. I have not included lesser-known disturbing films such as A Serbian Film or 120 Days of Sodom. They deserve a list of their own. Spoiler alert, and good luck and sweet dreams, friends:

1. "The Hills Have Eyes" (1977 and 2006)

Wes Craven's The Hills Have Eyes is terrifying, disturbing, and just plain upsetting at times. The 2006 remake retains most of the original feel, and adds in more graphic special effects and costumes. The thought of being stuck in the desert and being stalked by a family of disfigured, inbred cannibals. If that wasn't enough, imagine watching them kill your family in horrific ways, one by one, in front of you. There isn't much implication in this movie, pretty much everything is shown. You don't want to watch, and yet you can't look away.

2. "Audition" (1999)

This movie is notorious for scenes of intense torture. I really don't know what more to say about it than that. Eating vomit, needles in eyes, and cutting off body parts with piano wire. Watch at your own risk.

3. "The Last House on the Left" (1972)

Another Wes Craven piece, and most notably his directorial debut. Another movie depicting scenes of intense torture. However, while Audition seems like unimaginable torture, the torture in Last House on the Left is all-too real. It involves the kidnapping of two girls who meet a shady group of people while looking for drugs on the way to a concept. The naivete of the girls is painful, and you wish you could jump into the TV and smack them like a parent would, scolding them for talking to strangers. If you can't take graphic rape scenes, just pass. An excellent film, but definitely difficult to watch. Fun fact (if anything about this movie can be considered "fun"): Sandra Peabody, who played Mari, actually walked off the set during one of the shoots because the film was so intense.

4. "The Exorcist" (1973)

Arguably the scariest movie ever made. Demons are terrifying, but watching them possess an innocent little girl is even worse. The pea soup vomit, the profanity, and the spiderwalk scene are some of the most chilling, but the crucifix masturbation has yet to be rivaled in mainstream media.

5. "Eraserhead" (1980)

David Lynch's Eraserhead is hard to comprehend. It's not one of those movies you can watch passively. The "baby" in movie is enough to freak anybody out. Plus, not knowing what's going on the entire film doesn't help.

6. "I Spit on Your Grave" (1978)

More torture and graphic rape scenes, but with revenge. This movie received abysmal reviews from Roger Ebert at its release, but has since gained a cult following.

7. "Cannibal Holocaust" (1979)

This was the original Blair Witch. By that, I mean this was one of the first movies that people mistook as a true story and snuff film. The director was even taken to court because the film was mistaken for an actual snuff film. Animals were actually killed in the making of this film. To give you a sense of how depraved this film really is, This was the only picture I found that I felt comfortable enough to post here.

8. "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" (1974)

While not on the disturbing level of 120 Days of Sodom, I definitely don't think Texas Chainsaw Massacre is really for the faint of heart. Some aspects of the film are terrifying and otherworldly, such as the mask, the chainsaw used as a weapon, the house filled with bones, and of course "grandpa." *Shudder.* But like in Last House on the Left, other aspects are terrifying real. Being pulled back into the house. Being bent over the bucket like an animal. Running from the killer and narrowly getting away. It's intense.

9. "Sinister" (2013)

Sinister is modern compared to most of the other movies on this list. The tapes are certainly disturbing, gritty, and have that 1970s horror realism, but it also contains the unbearable tension and jump scares that are the true mark of contemporary mainstream horror. The gritty realism combined with heavy tension and jumps makes Sinister more ideal for a horror veteran than a novice.

10. "Funny Games" (1997 and 2007)

Scary because it seems like it could happen to you. I have again decided to include both the original and the remake since they were both directed by the original director Michael Haneke. The 2007 remake is in English. If you didn't have trust issues before, you will after you watch this. Violent. Brutal. Artfully breaks the fourth wall.

11. "Pet Sematary" (1989)

This is more upsetting than scary, and definitely not recommended for a fun movie night with your friends. It involves the death and re-animation of a child and the family's distraught reaction. Zelda is terrifying but also sad, when you really think about it. Definitely not a fun movie, but a must-see for horror buffs. Bring tissues, and don't even bother with the sequel.

12. "Hellraiser" (1987)

Clive Barker's Hellraiser is visually uncomfortable at times. The mere sight of the cynobites is enough to make anyone squirm, but honestly it's Frank's "reformation" and demise that earns this movie a spot on my list. If you're not accustomed to gore, it would be a shock. However, while many gratuitously gory films sometimes lack a true story, this one does not.