My Experience With Chronic Migraines

My Experience With Chronic Migraines

Chronic migraines are an extremely debilitating condition, here's a glimpse at what it's like to live with daily migraines.

47
My Experience With Chronic Migraines
Verywell

When I think of my migraines I picture the New Years Eve ball drop. There's the huge build up to the 60 second count down to when the ball drops and everyone cheers, people kiss, and confetti flies. Well picture that except every day with chronic migraines you live with that 12,000 pound ball in the back of your head just counting down until the next wave of excrupain comes.

But the build up to this moment isn’t Ryan Seacrest and champagne and glittery 2k17 glasses, it’s ringing ears and spotty vision, neck pain, nausea, and all sorts of other symptoms that come along with migraine auras. And then the ball drops and the pain hits full force and you can’t look at any lights or be around any noises, you just lay in a dark room for hours on end taking emergency migraine meds and pain medications (that may or may not help) and waiting out the pain. There’s no cheering or kissing and no confetti, just more nausea, light sensitivity, pain, weakness and fatigue.

The problem with these migraines is that they can last for days and sometimes the pain comes and goes so you never know when it’s safe to leave the comfort of your safe space. Will sunglasses be enough to save you from the light? Will the meds last long enough for your outing? How many hours (or minutes) do you have before the pain hits

What people don’t understand about migraines is that they aren’t just a headache. They’re a full body experience. They affect your head, your eyes, your neck and back, your stomach, your muscles, and your overall well-being. The symptoms for one person’s migraine may be different than the next, and your migraine today may be different than that of tomorrow.

Migraines can be completely debilitating for many people, both young and old. They can lead you to be bedridden for days at a time and cause you to miss extended periods of school or work. You often can't look at a phone or computer screen, read books, or do much of anything during the worst parts of a migraine, so they are extremely limiting. There are many treatments for migraines, but they don’t work for every body and it takes time to find the right treatment for you.

When someone says they have a migraine, don’t brush it off like it’s just a headache. Migraines are a serious condition that affects a large portion of the population. Chronic daily migraines are less common but even harder to manage. It’s important for someone living with these conditions to do what they need to in order to take care of themselves.

Migraines are more than just a headache. Be aware and be compassionate; though the pain may be invisible, the suffering is tremendous. Small acts of kindness and care to those who are suffering are such a gift.

Here's to the only ball drop of 2k17 being that in NYC.