Exercise Science Is NOT An Easy Major

Exercise Science Is NOT An Easy Major

Even if you love fitness.

5492
RGvision Magazine

Fitness is easy, right? Some of us can even challenge that statement by arguing that in fact, physical fitness, done right, is extremely challenging. If working out (correctly) is easy for you, that’s great. Once you get the form and mentality down, you’re good to go. However, the science behind how are body works; the kinesiology, is much more complex.

Whenever I mention my major, it seems as if the listener ultimately decides that the science behind physical activity is easy or a “blow-off.” Let me start by correcting a popular belief of anyone who isn’t studying kinesiology; exercise science does NOT consist of classes involving new exercises and techniques and the classrooms are not physical fitness centers. Sure, maybe one class, IF that, will need to be taken as prerequisite where you are engaged in a fitness center, learning new routines. The majority of kinesiology courses are heavy into the sciences; you’re looking at a program that requires you take Human Anatomy, Human Physiology, Sociology-Psychology of Sport, Motor Learning and Performance, Exercise Physiology, Biomechanics of Human Movement, Biomechanics of Exercise and Physical Activity, Electrocardiography and Clinical Exercise Testing, Exercise in Health and Disease, Principles and Techniques in Physiological Testing, Exercise Programming for Cardiovascular and Metabolism Fitness, Exercise Programming for Neuromuscular Fitness, and Exercise Clinical's in the Professional Practice; just to name a few.

What I’m dying to know, is how anybody could assume that any of these courses would be even relatively close to “easy.” Biomechanics? Electrocardiography? Anybody who has taken Human Anatomy at the college level knows that it’s one of the most difficult and taxing courses in all of the school’s academic curricula.

Before you jump to conclusions and decide that exercise science is an easy degree choice, recognize that yes, there are degrees that are more difficult. Studying to become a brain surgeon or oncologist is obviously going to be more taxing on your brain and body than an exercise scientist. However, kinesiology is not the choice to make if you are looking for an “easier major.” As we speak, I’m looking at seven years of collegiate schooling, just so I can be successful with this degree. Graduating in the traditional 4-years at a university with a bachelor’s degree in Exercise Science will typically not get you very far. This field is considered to be a stepping-stone, as is pre-med. Two years at community college, two years at a university, and then an additional two years at a different university to earn my Doctor of Physical Therapy degree. Seven years. If I choose the PTA, Physical Therapist Assistant, route, I’m looking at the same plan, only trimming one year off with the doctoral program. Six years. Six-seven years in college, while adding a five-six month period of NASM personal training certification program for me to fulfill my dream of becoming not only a physical therapist, but a personal trainer as well.

This major is not to be taken lightly, it’s a rigorous workload and requires an uncomfortable amount of school in order to get somewhere with the degree. Live, love, exercise science!