5 Ways Exercise Makes You Happy

5 Reasons Elle Woods Was Right, Endorphins DO Make You Happy

Working out isn't just for kicks and giggles, it can drastically improve your quality of life.

208
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer

Keeping up with a healthy routine has been something that my family taught me from a young age, but not until I came to college did I truly realize the importance of working out and eating healthy had on your mental and physical health. Since last year, I started seriously working out again and maintaining a healthy lifestyle routine. I have felt more confident, calm, and happy. It's so fascinating to know that something as simple as adding at least 30 minutes of physical activity in your daily routine can actually increase your happiness.

1. It releases chemicals in your brain that actually make you happy 

How cool is that? When you exercise, your brain releases endorphins that are produced to relieve stress. Something just as simple as walking can help with anxiety and depression, and I think that's pretty awesome.

2. Gives you more energy than drinking coffee 

For me, this is definitely true. Believe it or not, working out gives you more energy. Working out is a form of self-care, so being active and treating yourself, killing two birds with one stone.

3. It relieves stress

Nothing makes me happier than working out all my anxieties. One of my favorite workouts to relieve my stress is kickboxing. Imagining that punching bag as whatever it may be that is stressing you out helps so much. One time, I was extremely stressed out about an assignment in a class I did not like at all, and I went to kickboxing and went home and finished the assignment (and then got an A).

4. It challenges you 

Personally, I love beating a personal record or being able to do something that I didn't think was possible. This November, I'm participating in a half-marathon, and I never thought that is something I would be able to do. When I know I'm challenging myself to make myself better, I am so proud of myself which is so exciting.

5. It boosts your confidence 

When you feel good, you look good. Feeling happy and comfortable aids confidence so much. I know I have felt way more comfortable and confident in my own skin since I started working out again. There truly isn't anything like feeling happy and confident.