An Excerpt of My Short Story

An Excerpt of My Short Story

Titled 'Trailing Plant'

1999
An Excerpt of My Short Story

This work is still in progress at the moment. Writing creatively is a passion of mine that I'd like to share here.

______________________

She had woken up with the plants on her mind. Each special, each with a different place in her heart.

So, she got out of bed, made sure the door was locked, and decided to continue her morning routine. She drank her daily glass of water, and refilled it, as each one of her plants should get to drink too.

The first one on her nightstand. The two she had planted herself years ago on her dresser. The tall one in the bathroom next to the toilet. The one on top of the refrigerator that she always had to go on her tip toes to reach. The one on the coffee table in between the couch and the table with the now-defunct television. Then, she had stopped and looked at the one on the coffee table. She had found something new. Would she have to tell the landlord? She had stared at it for a while. The white bud contrasting the dark walls and navy table behind it. It made her smile. She washed the glass and put it away in her gray kitchen. As usual, she felt tired. “What a day,” she thought, “time to brush my hair and go to sleep”. So, she went to the bathroom, and after finishing her night routine, went to bed.

She had woken up with the plant on her mind. Particularly the white bud that had popped up yesterday.

The first one on her nightstand. The two she had planted herself years ago on her dresser. The tall one in the bathroom next to the toilet. The one on top of the refrigerator that she always had to go on her tip toes to reach. Why was that there anyways? She knew she hadn’t needed anything from the fridge in… how long exactly?

She put the refrigerator plant next to the two plants on her dresser. Finally, the one on the coffee table in between the couch and the table with the now-defunct television with the white bud. She inspected more thoroughly than she had meant to, as the blossom entranced her. She made sure to give it more water than usual, almost as an apology for staring. She washed the glass and put it away in her gray kitchen. Despite the time staring, she found it to be quite early in the day, and decided to read one of her favorite magazines. She went to her dresser, and pulled it out from the otherwise empty cabinet. Then, she sat down on the navy couch, near the plant with white bloom. The magazine had been one of her favorites. It had interior designs for open living, full of air and space. She wondered how the bud would look outside. As usual, she felt tired. “What a day,” she thought, “time to brush my hair and go to sleep”. So, she went to the bathroom, and noticed her hair. Her hair was greying, probably with age. She thought that it contrasted the indigo bathroom, similar to the white blossom. After finishing her night routine, went to bed.

She had woken up with the plant on her mind. Though, she did not have time to think about it as Landlord was coming.

______________________

Thank you for reading.