How To Be An Exceptional Roommate

How To Be An Exceptional Roommate

Worried about moving in with a stranger, here are 8 tips that will make you a praiseworthy roommate everyone will love.

19
How To Be An Exceptional Roommate
The Observer

Whether you are a female or a male, a freshman, a senior or a college graduate you are probably going to be living with roommate(s). Being a roommate is completely different than living with your parents, or even living with your SO/BFF who you know pretty well, especially if you aren't originally friends with them. And although living with your parents was a prerequisite to the soft skills you need, it isn't enough until you actually live with someone new. So, if you want to know how to do it right, here are the do's and do not's on being an exceptional roommate.

1. Do learn the personality of your new roommate(s) right away

This may seem a little too analytical for some, but if you take the time to observe who they are and ask the right questions you can get to know how to effectively communicate with them, what will tick them off and what will make them happy. That's right, living with another human is mostly about keeping the other roommate happy by being mindful. Unfortunately if your roommate is a selfish jerk, stop here and don't read on - move out.

Key Questions to ask:

Are they introverted or extroverted?

Are they more emotional or logical?

Are they naturally blunt or passive aggressive?

What groups do they identify with?

What are their beliefs and values?

What do they care about?

2. Don't be that extremely particular individual who has to have everything their way

Part of being an exceptional roommate is about being flexible, understanding and working as a team. This builds trust and takes communication, but if you're that person who feels the need to control everything without ever compromising for your roommates benefits, or becomes extremely dramatic about having it your way with an annoying/manipulating tone of voice, then you're a bad roommate and everyone will probably hate you. If you actually are diagnosed with OCD then just communicate that and work with them, otherwise get diagnosed, or you have no excuse for being inconsiderate.

3. Do have personal hygiene and clean up

You don't have to be super clean, but keep your stuff out of their way and don't smell bad. That is basic human living. Also, do your chores without being asked to, don't wait until you see grime buildup before you clean, instead, clean consistently and as you go.

4. Don't be irresponsible with your money

Make sure you are putting aside money for rent and bills. Budgeting is an important skill to have whilst adulting. So, don't party hard and then ask a roommate to cover your a** every month. Further, if you do borrow money make sure you set a date by when you will pay them back. This gives them confidence that they can trust you and gives them peace of mind so they don't have to confront you - no one likes confrontation.

5. However, do learn how to confront another

There isn't a problem unless you say there is a problem. First, tone of voice is the most important aspect of confrontation. The second, is realizing your're holding someone accountable who might cause you problems, so, have confidence and be clear. Yes, it's awkward, yes, we care about "being too much of a burden", but don't let yourself get taken advantage of and don't let your roommate's foolishness slide. If it's something small, do not have a "sit down" conversation, just mention it on a fly by. If your schedules conflict, write a note and say thank you with a nice smiley.

If it is a big deal, then you need to have a sit down and use the favor-help-try technique. It's simple, and promotes team work. Just say, "Hey, can I run something by you real quick? or I need to ask you a favor. There's something that's been bothering me and I need your help with it. I've noticed that you keep asking me to cover a portion of your rent, and I know...(acknowledge their struggle no matter how stupid), but you haven't paid me back yet (then acknowledge yours). So, could you help me out by setting up (i.e. a payment plan and some dates for when you can get the money back to me). I don't want this to become a problem and I want to work with you, but I need my money back?" Then let the conversation go from there.

6. Don't use their stuff without asking

Just don't do it, even if they're you're best friend, run it by them if it's okay to borrow things. Also, it's just awkward when they come home and you're using something of theirs and you get that "what are you doing" look.

7. Do have a roommate contract

My best friend and I lived together for two years and never needed a contract because we were the ideal roommates for each other, but if you're moving in with people you don't know very well it is a good idea to write up a contract with signatures and everything. That way it's in writing and you can take legal action if your roommate is that bad. Here is a link to a free roommate agreement template. Other agreements concerning chores can be made on cork boards in the kitchen for easy accessibility.

8. Last, but not least, have fun

If you get along great with your roommates go out, watch Netflix, cook together and just have the time of your lives. There's nothing better when you and your roommate(s) get along and all is well.

Nobody is perfect, but if we all treat each other with respect, understanding and kindness, then we all should get along fine. If not, you'll have some horror stories to tell your friends about just how bad your roommate actually was. Good luck out there!