Excelsior, Stan Lee

The co-creator of Marvel, and the writer of so many of the iconic superheroes, Stan Lee, passed away on Monday, November 12th at the age of 95.

From Deadpool to Captain America to Spider-man to the X-Men, Stan Lee created so many of my favorite characters. I always anticipated his cameos with excitement, wondering what random role they had created for him in the latest movie. My favorite Stan Lee cameo was in "Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2" when he appeared as the main characters traveled through space at a record pace. Stan Lee was sitting talking to aliens and having seen the spaceships pop in and out of existence in an instant, he says "before I was so rudely interrupted" and then references previous cameos of his.

He had his own universe. His heroes were not perfect. They fight one another over little things, and they fight over really big issues. They're superheroes, yes, but they're human as well.

He was married to the same woman for 69 years. They married in 1947 and were together until she died in 2017. I only found this out recently, and I really love this anecdote, simply because it shows that longevity really is possible, even in the public light.

The Stan Lee Foundation works to provide access to literacy, education, and the arts to the nation. The foundation wants to ensure that future generations have the creative outlets that Stan Lee had. He also worked with The Art of Elysium to spend time with children with serious medical conditions.

On Instagram on November 12th, so many celebrities posted tributes to him. I hadn't really thought about how many stars he had worked with throughout the year.

The original "Daredevil" starred Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner. It was one of my favorite superhero movies growing up. Any time I would see it on TV, I made my family put it on. I grew up with so many Stan Lee creations, never realizing that they were his creations.

The Marvel universe is so vast and amazing. Stan Lee truly was a creative mastermind. I will miss his cameos and his Instagram posts.

We may forget the heroes, but we will not forget the man who made them. RIP Stan Lee. Excelsior.