It's Okay Not To Have Everything Figured Out

When you're wondering why, let the world answer back.

15
Musharraf Hussain

Ah, college. It’s supposed to be a time of self-discovery, growth, and new beginnings. For most, it offers those things in spades. However, it’s not always easy, and I would wager that every college kid worth their salt has had a moment or two of existential panic. I know I have, and the moments where I’ve sat on the floor blankly staring at my textbooks prompted me to write about the change I decided to make.

Is this the right major for me?

Do I feel at home here?

Am I making a mistake by being here?

I’m not supposed to be getting average grades in my classes. Am I a failure?

We’ve all asked ourselves these questions, and we’ve all asked ourselves if we’re wrong for going down the path we’ve chosen. Here’s what I've found, though: not everything in life has to be figured out to the smallest detail.

What is life without a little spontaneity? It's something I struggle with letting into my life, but especially since coming to college, I've realized that life without spontaneity is immensely boring. It's predictable, it's bland, and most of all, it doesn't fulfill me in the slightest. Who doesn't want that little kick of adrenaline when we try something new and exciting? Who doesn't want to feel free, unencumbered, and alive? Who doesn't want to stand on a mountain trail and watch the world tick by?

I know it sounds corny and overused, but the journey is just as important as the destination. Sure, we’re expected to decide the course of our futures before we can legally drink, but there’s something to be said for letting things happen. If you just let a little bit of faith in, you’ll find that allowing life to happen and being an active participant in your days can create an immense sense of gratitude. It can lift even the heaviest weight from your shoulders. Enjoying small moments and simple pleasures works wonders for the mind and the soul.

Try this: each day, wake up and take a deep breath. No matter how stressful the coming day might be, promise yourself that you’ll take everything in stride. Be grateful for little things, and try and spread a little happiness wherever you go (especially if you’re feeling down). It’ll make you feel better, and it makes others feel better too. I’m not saying that bad or challenging things won’t happen, but refocusing your outlook makes the journey a little easier.

If you think about it, most of our everyday annoyances or worries won’t matter years from now. Who cares that you bombed a quiz, or got your paper torn apart? Take a breath, let it go, and focus on the good. It’s amazing what a little positivity can bring you.