Every Day Is A New Opportunity

Every Day Is A New Opportunity

57

College has the opportunity to mold you into who you will be for the rest of your life. It can define what you value, how you define a friend, how you view the world, how you view people in your life. Sure, move-in day and the first new class of a semester might be awkward, but college teaches us how to move past that and make fast friends with Abby, your random roommate, and Hannah in the seat in front of you. In discovering who you are it is important to remember how you got there, and to learn from those around you along the way.

Similar to college, the journey of life encompasses countless lessons. You learn a lot -- supposedly; you sleep little, you fall sometimes -- literally; and, inevitably, you find yourself. Throughout this time, all of our experiences and lessons that are preparing us for the real world can be drawn back to one key point; learning how to deal with other people. However, I challenge you not to settle with dealing with other people, learn from them, inspire them, challenge them and allow them to impact your life in the same capacity. Never underestimate the power you can have in someone’s life; live selflessly and discover yourself along the way. How?

Recognize opportunities.

Everything in life can be seen as opportunity. Merriam-Webster defines opportunity as a good chance for advancement or progress. Overslept for class? What a great opportunity for a quick morning workout sprinting across campus! (But, remember, a queen is never late, everyone else is simply early.)

Give willingly.

There is always something that can be done to make someone else’s life better. Pay for the person’s Starbucks behind you or hold the door open; no matter the size-small acts of giving can change someone’s life. We’re all experiencing the human energy crisis and we’re all broke, but you can’t put a time limit or dollar sign on giving back to others.

Be open.

When you give willingly and recognize it as an opportunity, it will change you. Maybe it’s tomorrow or maybe it was a year ago, at some point you will look back and realize that living selflessly has changed your life. Even if it leads to something not in your original plans: open your heart, let it change you.

Lead.

Giving is infectious, practice what you preach and you never know who you might reach. Be the person who makes everyone want to make his or her own impact on the world. Who am I kidding -- be Queen B.

Be confident, yet humble.

Be the change you wish to see in the world. Nothing great ever came from someone scared to take the first step, take pride in your efforts, but be sure not to boast. Humility defines about how we tackle or lives and how the rest of the world looks at us.

Be understanding.

You never know what someone else is going through. Just because dude in the red car just cut you off doesn’t mean he wasn’t running late for his first job interview in years or rushing to the hospital for a family member. If not, it wasn’t personal; he didn’t set out today just to tick you off, so just bite the grit and, “Bless his heart.”

Trust more.

Trust yourself and trust others. Everything happens for a reason and everything will work out. Take obstacles in stride and have faith.

Accept critique: at some point in life, your actions and hard work will be noticed. Learn to accept praise and criticism and let it motivate you in the future.

Whatever you do, do it 110% percent.

If you can’t dedicate yourself to something, don’t do it. Accurately determine what that giving your all looks like in your life without being selfish and do it. Giving your all in three areas of your life is more impactful than trying halfway in six.

Love.

Do everything with love. Love yourself, love your neighbor and love your enemy. Sometimes easier said than done, but when in doubt… ‘kill ‘em with kindness.’

If we all acknowledged these 10 things into our everyday lives, it would not only change how we view the world around us, but how we are viewed by others. You will be a much happier person by simply recognizing the opportunity in each day and every relationship.

In recognizing opportunity, you will discover the best version of yourself; at that point your potential is limitless.